One of my SD cards of my Rpi 1 failed so I had to switch over to a new one and after recovering an older image of RaspBMC I figured, why not switch to OSMC while I have to do this anyway, and so I did… but trouble quickly arose…
RaspBMC has been running stable for several years now, of course it glitched out every now and then but I’ve had uptimes of a couple of months without even rebooting it. I also had tried pretty much every overclock I could (pushing it to extremes of cpu 1100 with 550 core, SDram running around 500 and so on so on) without having much problems, I ended up running a fairly reasonable clock I was satisfied with but I know it was able to handle more and still be stable, I just didn’t see the need of it.
With OSMC i’m having a very very different experience. Whatever clockrate I set it pretty much runs on 100% CPU (ram is never an issue, tops around 50%, rarely) with slight drops to 98% but after a while it settles down and goes to normal CPU behavior ranging from 10-30% on a cpu 900 core 450 clockrate but the moment I start using it its back to 100%.
Not really a big issue still since the temperature doesn’t go past 55 degrees Celsius (Copper CPU heatsink and 2 small aluminum heatsinks, not using a cover so more then enough cooling), the major issue is that it keeps hanging. I can’t really call it freezing because I’m not locked out of the system, I have to SSH in and shutdown but it keeps happening no matter what skin I use, including the original OSMC skin.
I personally prefer using Rapier because of the extended info and the only other plugins I actually run (and always had running on prior system) is library auto update (set to 12 hours) and Trakt.
And of course any plugins that run with Rapier if I happen to have that skin enabled but keep in mind that this happens on the original OSMC skin as well.
My longest runtime right now has been roughly 5 hours without it “freezing” on me.The GUI seems to sort of still work because in some rare cases the screensaver kicks in but everything else is completely frozen and waiting doesn’t help (trust me I tried for several hours).
I also already turned the graphics down from 1080 to a 720 environment to reduce the load even more, didn’t help a bit.
If i go anywhere below Medium overclocking (instead of just custom) I get a frowning face after about 4 minutes of uptime so the standard profiles don’t really help with this either.
I’m running the latest OSMC, updated it as well to be sure.
My current config.txt is as followed.
This is fairly low for what I used to run but it seems to be the most stable I can get it with OSMC…
I could really use some help here because I’m running out of ideas.
Rpi 1, used to work great on RaspBMC for years with same plugins and skin, installed OSMC, works like crap, see settings, help fix this puppy, more info see above anyway :P…