USB drive problem

Hi, I’m trying to add a WD 320GB drive in an enclosure and fed via the store’s hub to my Vero4K. The drive was formatted ext4 using the Paragon Linux software. On the vero - with power applied (wall socket, not extender) the hub and enclosure light up but the drive simply makes a repetitive small noise. Nothing shows up in terms of it being mounted (same on all the hub’s outputs). If I move this whole of drive/enclosure and hub to my laptop it’s ok, Paragon verifies it as ‘Clean’ - and it works as expected. Back to the Vero and previous problem. Any thoughts welcome.
Andy

So you have one power supply connected to the Vero and a second power supply connected to the powered hub?

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes - one to the vero, and second to the hub.

I did also initially try the hub off a nearby extension (same problem) then recalled the advice I’d seen on here regarding extensions.

This is odd as it surely sounds like a power issue.
Nevertheless maybe upload logs (either via MyOSMC or command line grab-logs -A) so that we can check any errors

thanks;
https://paste.osmc.tv/micusuzeze

There is nothing from the disk in the logs which would indicate that the disk really doesn’t get enough power. Might be the power supply is gone. Can you check AFAIK both the Hub and Vero power supply are identical. If they are identical maybe try the Vero Power Supply on the Hub and see if the drive spins up.

That’s a good idea, and happy to try it - but as I said - it’s happy using the same hub on my laptop - wouldn’t that exhibit the same problems?

saying that, I recall on receiving the hub a few weeks ago, I had problems trying it with a sata connector connected drive, even on the laptop, although someone on the forum did point out that they can be ‘choosy’

Well on the PC it could be that the USB port provides enough power so that the external power supply is not needed.
You could always try to see what happens if you connect the disk without the powered hub.

final pin on the vero’s supply lead is unfortunately quite different to the hubs, and I doubt I’ve got a psu with enough kick and that pin. I tried your suggestion - disk straight to Vero - same problem, disk straight to laptop, happy. It does sound like a power issue doesn’t it, but not sure how else I can test it.

Yes that sounds like a power supply issue. Did you purchase the Powered Hub recently?
Maybe @sam_nazarko can give his opinion.

Yes, only a few weeks ago, and I was in conversation with Sam when it wouldn’t initially power up an SSD drive sat on a sata connector- the need for it at the time went away so I forgot about the problem until now. Thanks for your help on this, as normal there were too many variables for me to get a handle on.

Can you try a different port on the hub?
Just to check: this is just a straight usb connection and no SATA?

Hi Sam, tried various of the ports, same result, and yes, straight USB connection. I’m going to try it tonight with a mix of 3 different drives (2 spinning, 1 SSD) and 2 or 3 different enclosures/cables, all mixed up to see if that confirms anything

Is there any chance you connected the wrong power supply from another device to the hub (in means of other power output)?

No, it’s been in the same bag as the hub since It arrived. I’ve just checked (in case!) It’s marked up as 5v - 2.0 A. Which sounds correct. I’d put a meter across it, but I suspect unloaded it won’t mean much, plus if it is current limiting on load in some way there’s no way I’d know.

My OSMC hub is for sure a previous generation of the hub model you have but looks the same.
Here the hub’s LEDs shine up with with just the power supply connected means host uplink cable to Vero is disconnected. If I connect in this scenario an external 2,5 inch hdd in a USB enclosure the case LED there also starts shining.
So, if you connect the hub’s power supply in this standalone mode and don’t see any lights … I assume the power supply is defective.

I did try this earlier, as in power the hub and connect the drive to the hub but don’t connect the hub to anything else. Unfortunately all the enclosures that can light up did light up - so the psu is certainly not fully dead, but In each case the drive could be heard to be doing the familiar rhythmic clicking. I’m just about to try it with the SSD connected to the vero and see if that registers. Profile - sam_nazarko - OSMC Forums (or anyone else who has this hub) could you take a look at the attached jpeg - probably nothing to do with this problem, but is the amount of pin showing on the psu connector standard for these? I don’t recall normally seeing that much exposed connector on such things - but it does seem to be a positive fit.

Yes – the jack doesn’t go completely flush in to the hub.

Sam