USB thumb drive audio issue on Raspberry Pi 3?

I can’t see any reason why such a file would issues simply because it’s played from a USB drive. Does the behavior continue if you place them in the same location as your movies and attempt to play from that location?

Thanks for reply. How do I do that, to place them in the same location as your movies?

where are your movies?!

Also, remove the soundbar completely from the equation. Can you make them play via tv speakers?

I have no movies on any attached external drive connected to this Pi box

Yes I have tried that, using TV speakers only and no sound from them as I play the files.

All very strange

You either have a bad HDMI cable, broken TV, or you have mis-configured your audio settings then.

Then why do you say this?

Stream from where?

Where else would I be playing movie files from if I had them? No bother forget it

Stream as in from the internet using any plugin

@sam_nazarko, hello I don’t know if you had seen this strange sound issue. I am certain things are configured correctly as regards passthrough etc but I can stream movies with good sound but no sound when I play a movie file (mpeg etc) from a thumb drive?

The TV is new (appox 1 year old, HDMI cables are good). Maybe bad audio settings but I am certain everything is good settings wise but always good to recheck.