VDR VNSI Plugin stutters when playing fast-forwarding and rewinding tv recordings

I have a dedicated vdr server (vdr 2.3.6/2.3.6) and use the VERO4k as a client. When I watch a recorded video (German 4k HEVC codec) and forward or rewind, the video stutters. Pause and Play does not change the situation. But when I stop and start at the last position everything is fine again.
I have uploaded the logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/ijapigajix
(Procedere you should find in the logs: Start the video, forward some seconds and then stop)
Yesterday I had exactly the stuttering problem suddenly while watching live tv. (Just as a additional information, because it is not reproducable…)
Thanks for any help
Holger

Does it affect recordings?

Does not seem to affect the recordings. They are ok.

Is there anything else I can provide?

Hi Holger – I have not had a chance to look in to this yet.

Sam

Dear Sam,
the situation got worse with every update. Now again I downgraded to vero3-mediacenter-osmc 17.8-376 to fix this.
In the last osmc releases not even playback of recorded videos was possible without stuttering or stopping after a few seconds.
I have uploaded new logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/ubewiqiqon. (Sequence: started debugging, played back a few seconds of a recorded tv show, stoped debugging, sent logs)
Just to make it clear once again: The VDR server is the same, the VDR-VNSI client version is the same:
In vero3-mediacenter-osmc (17.8-376) playback of recorded TV works, in vero3-mediacenter-osmc (18.5.0-1) playback of the same record does not work.
Holger

You might try settings>system>audio>allow passthrough>(enable) If this is the issue I think it is the fix is still in the works but I think people were reporting PCM output as being less reliable than bitstream with ts files.

Thanks for your reply, @darwindesign: I talk about videostuttering not audio. Does the fix work for video as well?
Holger

Video and audio are tied together for obvious reasons. Just try it and see, it is not going to hurt anything and it is easy enough to switch back.

xxxx I don’t seem to have such a setting. (Expert mode is enabled)
Could it be somewhere else.

I found it… Sorry!

But it does not change anything. Exactly the same behaviour as before.

@Holger_Dehnhardt - 17.8 is a nightly build of Kodi. Why are you running deprecated nightlies?

I suggest you stick with stable builds.

1 Like

@sam_nazarko
May I quote my own summary:

Just to make it clear once again: The VDR server is the same, the VDR-VNSI client version is the same:
In vero3-mediacenter-osmc (17.8-376) playback of recorded TV works, in vero3-mediacenter-osmc (18.5.0-1) playback of the same record does not work.

This is gonna be a little frustrating. I bought the Vero in the hope of having an ‘It just works’ solution. The problem has been there for half a year now. I try every official release (stable build) and it gets worse than better. I’ve probably tried all the settings that might have something to do with synchronization and none of them have any effect. Again and again I have to go back to the last nightly build that works.
I have spent several hours with it unsuccessfully. I am still willing to work on a solution, but it would be nice if at least my messages would be read completely.

I’ve taken a look at this.

It looks like the backend (VDR) is not passing the frame rate through correctly.
I would suggest setting a fallback frame rate under PVR Settings.

Of course I have tried this and 50 Hz are always set. But this has no effect on the current versions.
I would like to point out again that the playback works with the nightly-build. (Without changing any settings)

Do you remember if this ever worked on a stable v18.x build?
I don’t have a VDR backend so it may be tricky for me to reproduce the problem if recordings are not affected as mentioned above.

Sam

No, it never worked on a stable v18 Version. If I remember it correctly it stopped working on the build that followed on 17.8-376.
Maybe I should verify that?

Okay – initially you said recordings were not affected. Can you check if that’s still the case? Because if recordings are affected then it’s going to be easier for me to reproduce + solve.

Sam

If you want to know if the recordings are broken in any way, this is not the case.
I can play all recordings, no matter when they were made, with the nightly version, but not with the stable version.

That’s not what I mean.

I mean if you take a video recording, copy it to local storage or a USB drive, does it play on the stable version?

… i will test this. Need some minutes…