Vero 2 specs compaired to others?

Sam,

Could give some sort of insight compared to this topic?
What points are tested and like in the tables in the topic are the pro’s and con’s?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I don’t have time to fill out a comparative table, but a lot of those comparisons are Android specific and so they are not necessarily applicable to the Vero 2 (i.e launchers, OTA update and fractional mode setting issues)

Sam

No problem, I’ll wait till somebody does it on here or the Kodi forum then.
For now everything still points to a RPi2, atleast for me :smiley:

Although I miss the bitstreaming and hevc support on it, that’s the only reason I’m looking for a successor, without loosing all the goodies of the RPi2 :innocent:

That topic focuses entirely on 3D support. Isn’t 3D dead? Is it a dealbreaker for you?
Or is this a new glass-less 3D solution working from multiple angles without degrading resolution and quality?
Regarding the audio part, if you connect via HDMI and enable passthrough, it will always work if the stream is DTS. Even DTS:X has a DTS core which is passed through to your receiver, whether DTS:X is supported or not. Which is fine, since you won’t have 10 speakers in your living room to benefit form the extra audio information anyway :slight_smile:

If you read the topic correctly it has some things about 3D, but that is not the main focus…
And don’t tell me what I do and have/want… I know how to speak for myself!

Have a look at the MXQ units. The port layout and processor are the same. Should give you a Base comparison based on just the hardware. The biggest difference is going to be the performance of the OS. The MXQ’s and the other units are all Android based, the Vero 2 is debian based and should be more stable and efficient. Will be interesting to see which version of Android Sam is putting onto the Vera’s as the MXQ’s are 4.4

Please make a comparative table when you do have time!
The only difference I notice in this Vero 2 is, it used the Cortex-A5 processor as the Vero used the Cortex-A9 prossesor.
I would like to know is it worth it or not before i get rid of my Vero and go for Vero 2. or should I change to other make?

The Vero 2 has 4x faster CPU performance and 3.9x times faster GPU performance overall. In terms of real-world performance, it is noticably snappier.

I’ll see if a comparison can be made in the future that’s meaningful to users

Sam

1 Like

Does Vero2 support HDMI-CEC?

Yes

hi Sam!

Is there anything compared to a Raspberry Pi 2 that the Vero 2 cannot do?

I currently have a raspberry pi 2 and thinking about upgrading to the Vero 2.

Thank you in advance.

I’d say easy gpio access will be tricky.

That’s fine, just want to use it as a multimedia player. I read about full hd support, and the many advantages of Vero 2, just was curious whether there is something where vero 2 wouldn’t be a good choice compared to a pi 2.

I just plugged in my Vero 2 and restored backed up settings from Vero 1, but CEC is not working at all. I seem to remember the settings being under “peripherals” in input, but that is greyed out. Am I missing something? How do I change CEC settings on Vero 2?

Vero 2 doesn’t use libCEC for now (CEC is in kernel).

I would recommend starting another post.

Just a subjective observation: Vero 2 is noticeably faster than Vero 1 and Pi 2, at least when running OSMC. Navigation in the OS is considerably less laggy, it starts up faster, video playback starts faster, seeking is smoother (still bandwidth limited when streaming, of course), etc. Jarvis RC3 is still quite buggy (at least for me) and Vero 2 is still very new, so I expect both will only get faster. It is all about the user experience in the end—how fast it “feels”

I have been running XBMC since… well, since it only existed on the original Xbox (2003-ish?) and I’ve gone through many iterations of PCs, Android systems and various little solid-state boxes and such. (I have a closet full of them!) In my experience raw specs are less meaningful than real-world benchmarks and Android boxes never perform as well as Linux (embedded or Debian, et. al). Plus, having SSH for backup/migration and the inevitable upgrade is immeasurably useful.

Thus far OSMC on an RPi2 has been my best experience, but I see a lot of potential with Vero 2. Much more than the pile of Oyas and Minix boxes and such gathering dust in the closet.

The dedication and responsiveness of the osmc team should not be undervalued either. Again, just my subjective opinion.

2 Likes