Vero 4k does not remember subtitle choice on resume

Running the latest version but this has always been present.

In default Kodi when you stop watching something and afterwards resume again it will automatically display the same subtitles as before (for me the external .srt). With OSMC it will revert back again to the subtitles that are embedded in the MKV instead of the previously used external srt.

Please explain exactly what you mean by default Kodi?

Where is this content located and how is it shared to the Vero? Are you using a library with with this media or just playing by browsing files?

With default Kodi, I mean latest Kodi from kodi.tv running on Windows.
Content is on SMB share and using a shared MySQL backend.
Everything is scanned into the library.

In that case, providing debug enabled logs demonstrating the issue may give someone a clue to see where your problem is.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I can’t reproduce this behavior on the same type of setup. Logs may allow us to see something different your doing.

EDIT: Are you using automatic subtitle download? If so does the problem persist after you manually select the embeded subs and restart the video?

I believe I’m facing the same issue.

It might be helpful if you could provide logs and any relevant information regarding your setup. When I tested it the information was being stored and retrieved from the database.

I think I managed to work out what is going on and it is a bug in Kodi that you would need to report over there. It is not an issue with OSMC. What is going on is that Kodi references the stream by number only in the database so a typical movie with two embeded subs may look like this…

stream 0 (english 1/2)
stream 1 (english SDH 2/2)

and if you then download a sub that changes during playback to…

stream 0 (english 1/3)
stream 1 (english SDH 2/3)
stream 2 (downloaded 3/3) [auto selected as active]

Once you stop the movie the database stores stream 2 as the one it should reload. but when you start the video again you will see that external are ordered first such that…

stream 0 (downloaded 1/3)
stream 1 (english 2/3)
stream 2 (english SDH 3/3) [active as per db selection]

So if you add external subs the selection will be incorrect on the first playback, but if subs are static then the section should be correct as the database is saving and loading.

So what you are saying is when I start a new movie and download new external subs while playing through to the gui, next time I resume the Subtitle ID in the database does not line up anymore because it is now 1 more.
I’ll test that out, great find!

Send me details in comms and I’ll look in to it.

S

1 Like

It is not so much that there is “now one more” but rather the sort order is not consistent (and external should probably always be sorted after embedded).

Just to be sure, is there anything you need from me?

I don’t think so. I gave Sam what he wanted and he is going to report it upstream.

1 Like

Awesome

Just out of curiosity did you hear anything back from Kodi? Not sure where you reported it, don’t see on the Kodi Github

I don’t think I got around to opening this issue upstream.

1 Like