Vero 4K+ & HDR10 = SDR according to HDfury

I don’t think the API allows it. That’s the impression I get anyway. There’s a thread on the Infuse site where they said they were looking into it and contacted apple about it but no update since Dec.

Switching HDR from auto to force passthrough made no difference.

1 Like

I can’t reproduce the issue playing through a Vertex. Mine says ‘HDR’. But I don’t have a Vero running the kernel you are on. You might like to try upgrading from the staging repo to see if that changes things.

Hopefully the issue is now addressed.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv buster-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

I’d also recommend you deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

No change with the updated kernel. Even tried changing HDR processing back to force passthrough.

I did notice my ssh session stalled during the update:

but it rebooted anyway and looks like it updated:

before update:

Linux version 4.9.113-60-osmc (root@osmc) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 19 23:56:28 UTC 2021

after update:

Linux version 4.9.113-63-osmc (root@osmc) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 21 16:38:19 UTC 2022

That’s expected. It’s updating connman so goes off-line.

When you are playing HDR, what does
cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config say?

Can you also post debug logs when playing HDR?

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config output:

cur_VIC: 93
cur_video_param->VIC=93
cur_video_param->colordepth: 10bit
para->colorspace: 444
AVIF VIC: 93
VIC: 93 3840x2160p24hz
Colour depth: 10-bit
Colourspace: YUV444
Colour range: limited
EOTF: HDR10
YCC colour range: limited
Colorimetry: BT2020nc
PLL clock: 0xc000029a, Vid clock div 0x000b0000
Aspect ratio: 16:9/full frame
audio config: on
audio on/off: on
audio source: SPDIF
audio type: MAX
audio channel num: 8 channels
audio sample rate: 192kHz
audio sample size: 16bit
3D config: off

logs:
https://paste.osmc.tv/omezugucad

Something else I’ve noticed. When playing a Blu-ray folder of an HDR10 only movie the LUM is always 1000/0.005 and maxCLL/FALL is always 0/0 but if the folder contains a DV movie then the correct HDR10 values are used.

1 Like

Can you explain what you mean by a Blu-ray folder? Do you mean a ISO image file? Everything else should have their metadata read properly. I don’t have any Blu-ray images to test.

Just a Blu-ray ripped to folder. It might just be a couple movies I have. I’m doing some more testing.

What does mediainfo say? These are the defaults we send if we can’t find any metadata. Blu-rays are required to have this metadata so if mediainfo can’t find any they must be bad rips.

If mediainfo is giving you sensible values and you are prepared to poke around a bit more, with the latest release candidate (which you have installed) there is more information reported in the Kodi log about HDR metadata. Can you have a look at that and see if it matches what mediainfo says?

Also, if you turn on a bit of extra debugging:
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/module/am_vecm/parameters/debug_csc
you should see the metadata printed out by the kernel in dmesg.

Looks like bad rips.

1 Like