Vero 4k+ output detected as 2.1, not 5.1

My 4k+ is outputting sound as 2.1 as of recently and I can’t get it fixed.

All television, TV apps and Vero 4k+ use ARC to pass sound to my Denon 7.1 capable receiver. On TV and TV apps, it correctly outputs to 5.1 channels (I don’t use the other 2). When I move to the Vero 4k+ it then autodetects to 2.1. I can select Bitstream or PCM output on my TV, but neither changes the effect from what I can tell. In OSMC audio settings I tried changing the output device and verified the output configuration was fixed at 5.1 number of channels. Rebooted in between changes and no luck. Now I can’t hear dialog because it’s supposed to be the center speaker.

The receiver is a Denon AVR-X4000 and TV is Samsung UN75NU710D. To reiterate, I know the 5.1 works through the ARC just fine because it swaps the speaker configuration dynamically without intervention when moving over to TV apps like Netflix and Prime Video.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Can you upload a log so we can see your audio settings?

1 Like

Sure, can you give me the file path?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Most of the time TVs are only able to passthrough stereo PCM audio from incoming HDMI signals. TVs are not made to handle audio passthrough well. This has nothing to do with what internal apps of a TV output via ARC.
Why don’t you connect your Vero to one of the HDMI inputs of your AVR and the TV to the HDMI out of the Denon like the receiver is meant to be used? That way you can enjoy all audio formats the Denon supports.

1 Like

With the way it is configured now, I do not have to change inputs on the receiver, which is helpful for the less technically inclined. This also means I don’t have to keep the giant, 1000 button stereo remote in the mix. I don’t want to lose that if this can be made to work.

It will probably not be possible for the above stated reason.
Also: you loose audio quality this way. By connecting your Vero to the AVR via HDMI you’ll be able to passthrough HD audio as well. By routing the audio through the TV you’ll never be able to pass on any 7.1 audio to your AVR.

1 Like

Set your channels to 2, and turn on passthrough and AC3 transcoding. DTS passthrough may not work.

That being said it would still be better to connect directly to the Denon and the CEC should still work the same (it does with my Denon).

1 Like

I am not planning to add another 2 channels anytime soon, so 5.1 would be fine. Are you saying the TV isn’t capable of passing 5.1 through? That surprises me.

So you’re saying the TV remote (which in its current state can be used to control Kodi navigation) would still work after moving it to a Denon input?

It depends on your TV. Many can’t. If you set channels on the Vero to 2.0 and enable passthrough, then on the TV look in your settings for the ARC output format. If there is a setting, change it to bitstream (or other than PCM/LPCM). You may need to experiment.

1 Like

That’s exactly right :+1:t2:

1 Like

It should. I have me Vero connected Vero > Yamaha > TV and can use the TV remote to control Kodi.

1 Like

It does surprise many… The exception confirms the rule.

1 Like

I can select Bitstream on the TV, I just haven’t done any research to determine if one is better than the other yet. Will swapping to Bitstream help with this issue?

Do select bitstream and test which formats are passed on. Maybe you’re lucky and your TV passes on Dolby and DTS. But keep in mind that it will never pass on any HD audio formats that Vero can output and that your AVR can process.

1 Like

What could it hurt to try? :grinning:

1 Like

Well when I changed output to Bitstream and went to the TV Prime app, I had the option on my TV audio settings to change Digital Audio Output to Dolby (or Dolby+), but this option is always greyed out when in Kodi.

When switching this stuff it also reset my video calibration as if I had disconnected and reconnected the Kodi. :confused:

Did you actually get 5.1 sound after changing it from the Vero? And as to the app, it may be just passing the bitstream through. Did you try a stream to see how it sounds?

1 Like

Nope, changing to that input reselected the 2.1 speaker configuration on the Denon.