Vero4K Crashes

That bug seems to be caused by transmission process writing to log file.

So, if you kill that process and disable transmission do you still get all CPUs at 100% …?

Not 100% cpu but overheating and crashes, i think

I understand that you’ve sent this back to us now.
So we’ll take a look.

First things I’ll do will be:

• eMMC integrity check
  • RAM integrity check

I’ll then reinstall OSMC with March 2017 version of OSMC and see if I can replicate the issues firsthand so I can get a better understanding of the problem.

I think the issue we had here was that we assumed the February version of OSMC worked well, so we were chasing for potential regressions. It doesn’t seem to be widespread however, so I’m under the impression you and @CestLeBob actually received problematic units.

Cheers

Sam

@anbodearg I tried disabling everything and still had the crash (and when I say everything, I mean it: no transmission, no web services, no SSH, no FTP, no library auto updater)

The reason indeed seems to be overheating because it’s quite hot to the touch right after the crash.

I’ll wait for the result of your investigation on the unit from G4eva before sending mine back then… (still have to try the other PSU anyway, yesterday was a busy day)

Thanks for your help.

If it’s still overheating and crashing with everything disabled, and 4 CPUs not 100%, then I think it might be
a faulty unit. It might be better to send it back - I think it’s unlikely that the PSU will make a difference.

The only other thing I can think of is the March update. I haven’t updated my 2 Vero4Ks, and both have
no issues. They don’t get hot, and CPU is always low. If you could install the Feb version of OSMC, then
that might be worth a try.

I’m not sure if it’s a red herring or not; but two users reported that they had overheating after updating to the March update. Now at least one says he still experiences problems. If he hadn’t said that February was fine, I would’ve replaced it much sooner than this.

You could try the February version from the Download page or OSMC installer.

Feeling brave @anbodearg?

Sam, I was going to try March update… but it looks like I have it already.

I think mt TVH Vero4k is on the Feb version, so I could try updating that one…?

Sure. Best to stay up to date and let me know if you have any problems

Sam

Instead I could try loading Feb version on my March Vero4k and then install the march update.
Maybe the issue only happens on Feb installed Vero4k with March update (as opposed to a March install Vero4k)

If you’ve time, you can try this, but don’t put yourself out

Sam

Sam, it’s no problem, and I think it’s worth a try.
Worst case, I can just swap back my Vero2 (and I’d prefer to leave my TVH alone).
I’ll try do it tonight. Just trying to find how I can do this by command-line.

Slightly off on a tangent but relevant to the thread, how do we show the processor temperature on the Vero 4K? (I know how to do it on the Pi.)

Actually, I could swap the two of them around … .so that my TVH Vero4K is the one with the March install,
and my OSMC Vero4K is the one with the Feb install.
Then I could just update the Feb one (and not touch my TVH).

I’ll try that …

Ok my TVH Vero4k is on Feb install.
I’ll try tomorrow to swap them around so that I can update it with March update.

Arthur,
Did your friends also update Vero4k to March update? Or was it only you that updated your Vero4k…?
Thanks

Ok I ran the March update. It showed one error
Now it won’t start. It’s stuck in a loop

ok.
power-cycled Vero4k, and it’s back.
Everything looks ok.
TVH is working with both DVB-T and DVB-S2 adaptors.

So far so good.
I’ll check tomorrow if its overheating or crashing, etc.

Alignment fault does not look good though.
How is it today? Certainly looks dodgy there…

Both working perfectly all day. Movies, Live Tv, etc. No overheating and no crashing.

one thing is that neither are ever at full CPU load. Maybe that’s what triggers the overheat…?

One Vero4k is new install March. The other is new install Feb, with update to March version.

I suspect so, but I’m compiling on my Vero 4K while watching TV some nights, and not seeing overheating issues. It’s worth getting the hardware back and finding out what the issue is.

Sam