Video calibration lost on reboot

Every time I reboot or even restart kodi on my vero4k+ after an upgrade for instance, my video calibration settings are lost and most of the left-hand menu is off the screen.

is there a way to make it persistent e.g. via editing guisettings.xml ? not seen the problem on my atom running kodi 18/ubuntu or my pi3’s running libreelec on the same tv (or different ones)

Can you grab logs immediately after a reboot and again after adjusting the screen calibration using the methods below. Kodi should already be writing the calibration to guisettings.xml.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

After setting calibration, go to Power -> Exit.
Kodi will re-open. Is the calibration now persistent?

Basically if you configure your TV correctly no Video Calibration should be needed

1 Like

this isn’t a smart tv, there’s no way to configure anything. i don’t have the same problem with my pi or dvr.

i’ll try the exit thing, if that doesn’t work i’ll try sending the logs.

It doesn’t have to be a smart tv, what is the make/model?

it seems to be limited to the estuary skin, the osmc one works fine (but is unusable imho)

exiting just caused unhappy face and lost settings.

i played with guisettings.xml which made no difference, but when i changed it in video calibration i noticed it didn’t change these, so not sure what screen mode its using:

1920x1080@ 60.15 - Full Screen
HDMI-0: 1920x1080 @ 60.15Hz

maybe:

HDMI-0: 1920x1080 @ 59.94Hz

If you set the aspect ratio or overscan settings on your TV properly then you shouldn’t need to do any video calibration in Kodi. This is why we’ve asked for the make/model of your TV.

This is not correct for all TV’s,
recently I had an “emergency” call to help a friend out who had parts of the picture missing with Kodi on his TV.
Now this wasn’t on a Vero device but a Firetvstick, but on my friends TV all the AR and scan settings were correct but the Kodi picture was way too big with approx 20% outside the picture border.

I had to use the video calibration within Kodi to get the picture to fit into their TV, on the Firestick the calibration settings held so I’m unsure why they wouldn’t on a Vero

This would be a rare instance. Best practice is to use these settings on the TV as scaling in Kodi this way will degrade video quality more than the TV will.

i’ll see if i can find the make and model in a minute - its a 42" from asda i know that much.

after changing guisettings.xml to this - its not being applied (still doesn’t position correctly) but also not being overwritten when i change it in video calibration, so wondering where osmc/kodi is reading the settings from (or just ignoring them and using defaults?)

<resolutions>
    <resolution>
        <description>1920x1080@ 60.15 - Full Screen</description>
        <subtitles>1042</subtitles>
        <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
        <overscan>
            <left>62</left>
            <top>34</top>
            <right>1860</right>
            <bottom>1030</bottom>
        </overscan>
    </resolution>
    <resolution>
        <description>HDMI-0: 1920x1080 @ 60.15Hz</description>
        <pixelratio>1.009615</pixelratio>
        <overscan>
            <left>62</left>
            <top>34</top>
            <right>1860</right>
            <bottom>1030</bottom>
        </overscan>
    </resolution>
    <resolution>
        <description>HDMI-0: 1920x1080 @ 59.94Hz</description>
        <pixelratio>1.009615</pixelratio>
        <overscan>
            <left>62</left>
            <top>34</top>
            <right>1860</right>
            <bottom>1030</bottom>
        </overscan>
    </resolution>
    <resolution>

i seem to have fixed it, i set the zoom on my tv from auto to full and now the display is correctly positioned on reboot for either skin. still perplexed as to why guisettings.xml is being ignored…

You should check the Kodi Video Calibration and make sure it’s all been removed, just for certainty… Glad you are configured better now.

I’ve never seen refresh rates of 60.15Hz. That may be what’s screwing it up. If you delete those resolutions from guisettings.xml, it may work as advertised.