Way to power off osmc while changing sources

Hi, is there any way to make osmc turn off once I change tv sources and , and open when changing back to osmc ? Because on hdmi cec adapter it only mentions to pause playback or stop playback when changing to other source and not power off when changing sources

You can not switch off OSMC totally with this method as you would not be able to power it on without a power cycle. You can use “Suspend” but also that one normally you only can use with “When TV is switched off”
If you are eager to put OSMC into suspend if not active before you switch off the TV you can use the Shutdown Timer (under System - Power Saving) and set function to Suspend.

After the shutdown timer how can osmc power on again automatically?

If you use the “shutdown timer” with function “suspend” as I indicated it will just come out of suspend with any keypress on the remote.

The problem is , I am trying to do it as automated as I can that won’t need a remote… , any workarounds?

Thanks once more

How would you switch the input to the Vero without a remote? Magic?

I have a tv controller but I don’t have a controller for the Raspberry pi itself, and I thought you mentioned a Raspberry pi remote

What exactly is the use case your trying to customize for? Are you after power savings? Do you hard cut power for your entire system when not using it? Some details of your use case may allow for people to better assist you.

So currently my family and I live in a summer house away from the main house,and there is a channel that is only broadcasted on the city , mainly live and on internet, so my dad asked if I could somehow make it in order to watch the channel from the summer house. So I installed osmc, found an addon that has greek live TV (legit tv) and the channel itself from their official dailymotion channel but unfortunately I hadn’t a controller to make it + my dad doesn’t know much about technology (basically kinda hate it) and I wanted to make it like that way, when he watches normal TV in his TV through the antenna he could watch the channel by switching sources with a raspbery pi with osmc. In order to make that, I created one other thread how can a faviurite item start as soon as osmc starts and the person that responded in this forum first he also helped to achieve it, and now I am looking a way for osmc to open and to close depends on the status if it’s open or closed when my dad switching sources so he doesn’t have to buy a new remote and make it more difficult for him (I know it’s easy but I am trying to make it as automated as I can)

This is my story, let me know if you have any questions , thank you again for your time

P.S the auto close and auto open by switching sources can help because the raspbery pi takes the most power of the internet available and I have slow speed on other devices when it’s open

I would set the stop playback when your TV changes sources in the CEC settings and see if that takes care of half the problem. As for the starting again part the best I can think of off the top of my head is to just keymap the action to the play button so they only need to change the source and then hit the play button.

The TV remote can control OSMC via CEC so pressing any TV remote button after you switch the source to OSMC will wake it from Suspend

Starting and stopping of the video stream you can then control via the scripts that are executed when OSMC goes into Suspend or wake up.

The tv supports only hdmi controls, like when the tv closes the devices close, only this function, it doesn’t support hdmi cec unfortunately

Got it, thanks , I will try that and let you know how it went

it’s a $150 media player with no power on and off! sorry

I wonder how much power can be saved with this method on a Raspberry Pi (and ultimately whether it’s worthy effort).
I guess the main CPU/SoC would need to stay mostly awake to be ready for the USB events, so perhaps it would just cut off the video output and the network stack, and lowers its clock to minimum?

Correct not much saving. It mainly cut off the HDMI signal and lowers the clock to a minimum.

We don’t do this on Pi – I think with the VideoCore OS running there would not be much of a power saving.