Why ie my Vero toasting my USB stick?

I have a small USB stick plugged in and the Vero4 configured to backup automatically to it. Problem is that it gets corrupted all the time. Ie I need to unplug it and run a repair on it to regain lost space. Why is this happening?

Hi Anders,

not too much detailed information in your posting. So, just some ideas

• What USB stick is it? (Brand, model, size)
  • What file system?
  • Have you checked it is ok? (search for h2testw using Windows)
  • Could it be that is’s too small for your purpose?
    …

KIngston DT50, 8Gb
exFAT
Not tested, but can surely do it
8Gb should be sufficient for backing up 2 or 3 copies when the backup is 1Gb

Are you removing it safely in Kodi before you remove it from the device?

Problem is that it happens without me removing it.

Edit: Ie I fixed it a few days back and plugged it in. Today it was out of disk space because of a lot of lost clusters.

Warning: Only 7385 of 7386 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 5.47 MByte/s
Reading speed: 34.1 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Is it connected directly or via a hub?

Could you describe what you mean by that in detail?

@sam_nazarko It is connected via a hub. There are not enough ports on the Vero4. The hub is a small powered one i originally got for the Pi when I had an external USB disk for music files.
@JimKnopf In OSMC you can configure it to back up settings and library databases to a selected path. I do that daily in case something happens and keep a few copies back. I also transfer the files to another system every now and then.

I just bought a Kingston DataTraveller SE9G2 32Gb USB stick. Will test with that.

I just filled an exFAT 8GB USB stick to 99% and used MyOSMC backup several times running into “Insufficient diskspace” … but I’m not able to produce any file system corruption till now.
I’m on buster + kernel 3.14 … but I can’t believe this error to be dependent on stretch + kernel 3.14, only. Yep, give it a go with another USB stick.

1 Like