WiFi Dongle issues

Hey all,

Yesterday I flashed OSMC on to an SD card and put it in to my new Pi 2. I ordered a new wifi dongle along with the Pi, it’s the TP-Link Archer T1U. However, upon running OSMC I don’t have the option to set up a wireless connection.

I connected ethernet and SSH’d in to my pi to try and diagnose the issue. It seems as though I’m missing the drivers for this dongle, as the output of lsusb is:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2357:0105  
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I believe the WiFi adapter is the one with the ID of 2357:0105. The output of uname -a is:
Linux osmc 4.4.6-3-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 1 20:55:03 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

Can anyone help?

I believe that’s MT7610U based chipset.

I added some more dongle IDs today, so it may work in the future:

Sam

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Are these additions something we could expect in the June update?

next kernel update whenever that drops if you want you can used dev updates and get it early.

That’d be great. Can I install them through OSMC or would I need to re-flash my SD card?

just change the line in

/etc/apt/sources.list
from
deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie main
to
deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main

so whenever sam pushes a new kernel you will get it

Without a full log, it’s hard to say if you will get support for this device in the next kernel release.

I am guessing it’s MT7610u based, and this driver is experimental for now (hence the fixup).

Not recommended. Staging is going to get interesting over the coming weeks, could be a little rough and not ready for prime time.

bahh been running staging for a while so far you only messed up once :slight_smile:

Thanks both for your help. I’m wary of running a staging build so I’ll stick to the stable releases for now. I think what I’ll try to do is return this dongle and use an old one that I have lying around that is working.

Also Sam thanks so much for your work on OSMC, it’s awesome!

keep the dongle sooner or later its gonna have support

Any update on this? I have the same dongle.

Give it a go - MT7610U support has gone in.

Just tested it (July update), it doesn’t recognize it. Same device ID as Rhysjc.