Wired LAN no IP adress

Hi there,

received my Vero 4K+ this week :slight_smile: but having an issue which i am unable to solve.

Unboxed the Vero, was amazed how small it is in comparison with my old ITX HTPC, connected it (power, hdmi, LAN) and booted the Vero. Was a little frustred that the remote was not working (need to test some more, but so far it is not working), but via CEC te TV remote was working. Started a basic setup and noticed that the Vero had no internet connection.

Issue: Vero does not get an IP adress via DHCP. DHCP request times out and Vero assigns an APIPA adres (169.x.x.x).

Network layout:
[ISP router (bridge mode)] - [PFsense firewall (bare metal on APU2C4), incl. DHCP server] - [TP-LINK 24port managed switch] - [Vero 4K+]

Things i tried:

• in PFsense i can see that the dhcp server assigns an ip lease for the Vero (can see mac with ip and leasetime). So there is communication, but the Vero does not do anything with it.
  • Manually entered IP config in the Vero. Still no network / internet.
  • Connected the Vero directly to pfsense LAN port (bypassing the switch), DHCP / fixed ip still no go.
  • Connected the Vero directly to ISP modem (disabled bridge mode, enabled DHCP server.). DHCP / fixed ip still no go.
    -tried different lan cables and tested them with an other computer. all work fine.
  • tried the strech-devel main branch. does not solve issue.

Found a similar topic in the forums ( Wired LAN not working ). Solution there was to use an other switch. That is no solution here.

Workaround is to use WiFi. That works fine, but i do not want to stream 4K HDR with Wifi.

[solution]
remote issue: casuse was a not properly connecting battery. fixed by bending the battery connections a tiny bit.

no lan dhcp / connectivity issue: replaced the device via osmc support. New device works :slight_smile:

Have you plugged in the USB Dongle? Have you tried to re-pair it?

So if you manually configure it does the interface come up?
What is arp -a saying (on the Vero and on the PFSense)?

Blockquote
Have you plugged in the USB Dongle? Have you tried to re-pair it?

yes :slight_smile: tried to pair, but nothing happens on the remote and no indication on the Vero something happened.

Blockquote

DHCP LAN:
with WiFi enabled on the Vero , the Vero sees all computers on Lan (but not its own lan interface)
PFsense sees the Vero Wifi interface, not the LAN interface. And, yes lan is connected and active (switch and vero says connected)

Manually LAN (Wifi enabled, need to otherwise i cannot SSH into the Vero):
Will do this later, i am at work and cannot set manual ip via the kodi interface (and do not know how to do this via ssh).

Have you removed the plastic transport tab inside the battery compartment of the remote?

Blockquote
Have you removed the plastic transport tab inside the battery compartment of the remote?

yes :wink: also tried reinserting the battery. also switched the battery for a new one.

So the blue LED is not flashing? Here the steps:

1. Remove the USB from Vero 4K / Pi
  2. Hold Home and OK button for 5 seconds or so, then the blue LED will keep flashing.
  3. Plug in the USB receiver and the LED should flash 3 times after 5 seconds, indicating successful pairing.
  4. Power off Vero 4K / Pi for 2 minutes. Turn it back on. The remote should now work.

Best for that test would be to use a keyboard connected to the Vero and use local console

[quote=“Ray1, post:3, topic:75392”]

Blockquote

manually configured ip on the vero.
Vero arp -a:
(ip adress of DNS server) at <incomplete> on eth0 [note: DNS server is different ip than pfsense gateway]
nothing else.

pfsense arp -a:
20 hits, but nothing from the vero.

Blockquote
So the blue LED is not flashing? Here the steps:

tried it again, nothing is happening. tried with a different battery, nothing is happening.

that is not a good sign.
Run arp -a again on both devices after you ping each other.

So just once more the simple question “no blue LED flash on the remote” when pressing Home and OK for 5 seconds? If that is the case you would need to contact sales@osmc.tv for replacement.

Blockquote
Run arp -a again on both devices after you ping each other.

pfsense ping to vero: host is down, 100% loss.
vero to pfsense: no feedaback, after ctrl-c : 77 packets 100% loss.

arp -a after ping:
pfsense: sees vero: ? (192.168.1.105) at (incomplete) on eth1 expired [ethernet]
vero:
gateway (x.x.x.1) at ‘pfsenseMAC’ [ether] on eth0
? (IpDNSserver) at <incomplete> on eth0

[edit]
tried te remote for the 50th time, home and OK. suddenly a blue light…:unamused: connected the usb dongle to my laptop. remote works :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
[edit2]
and now the remote is dead again. no response…
[edit3]
bended the battery connectors a tiny bit, so far so good. working :slight_smile:

Have you tried to reboot your pfsense? And have you tried a different cable?

Blockquote
Have you tried to reboot your pfsense?

yes. issue persists.
also, directly connecting to ISP modem gives the same issue.

Blockquote
And have you tried a different cable?

yes, multiple. All working in other computers.

What do you get from the Vero if you try:

$ ifconfig

Blockquote
$ ifconfig

manual ip adres.

So you are transmitting and receiving packets, now it get strange.

Can you try to switch back to a DHCP address, and then show the output of ifconfig?

Blockquote
Can you try to switch back to a DHCP address, and then show the output of ifconfig?

DHCP. Happens on pfsense DHCP and ISP modem DHCP.

Could you show me the output from:

osmc@yeti:/var/lib/connman$ systemctl status connman

and

osmc@yeti:/var/lib/connman$ ls -l /var/lib/connman

Blockquote
Could you show me the output from:

I don’t know if this will help, but lets try to reset the network settings (be very careful here!)

$ cd /var/lib/connman
$ sudo systemctl stop connman
$ sudo rm -rf ethernet_c44*
$ sudo systemctl start connman
$ systemctl status connman

and show the output of what happens please.