444 10bit output from vero 4k

Hi - looking to do the same, but I am not technical. How/where do I access the correct screen on the vero 4k to enter this, and how do I doit on the remote without keys?

Hi,

Then you can use nano to make to add the required line before exit 0

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Once you’ve made the change ctrl-x and yes to save and exit.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Thanks Tom - will give it a try

Right - have logged into terminal ad can see the following. The very first # is grey and if I cut and paste the line above it goes before the first # as standard. I have mocked it up - Is that correct:

‘echo “444,10bit” | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr’_#!/bin/sh -e

rc.local

This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.

Make sure that the script will “exit 0” on success or any other

value on error.

In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution

bits.

By default this script does nothing.

exit 0

Hi,

Sorry its not clear from what you have posted, did you open rc.local with nano?

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

You need to paste the line before exit 0, when you have rc.local opened with nano; then save and exit as described above.

Thanks Tom.

1 Like

Ok - I think its done - will test tomo. Thanks again

Hi,

when the Vero 4K is properly set to 444 and 10bit, how is the playback picture quality of HDR10 4k files? Is it as good as when the same files are viewed on an Oppo 203?

Or is the Vero 4K picture quality significantly worse than compared to the Oppo?

Chris

For me it is worse than any other UHD player because there is flicker and noise in bright areas while watching especially UHD content. The noise reduces the sharpness of the picture and the flicker makes it unwatchable on my OLED. Until today I’m not using the Vero4k in my homecinema (neither with my OLED TV nor with my projector). If I could i would return it because the issues doesnt seem to get resolved any time soon.

Which player do you use for remuxed Ultra HD Blu-ray content with HD audio passthrough, HDR and H265 support? Honest question, so far that perfect player yet has to surface for me.

It is quite disappointing that the picture quality of the Vero seems to be so bad.

Currently I am using an Oppo 203 for my UHD-HDR10-MKVs, picture quality is fine.

However, once in a while the Oppo freezes the playback for a second or so. It occurs in a random manner, never at the same playback positions.

Providing logs would be the best way to receive meaningful support and make sure you haven’t misconfigured your device.

There is nothing misconfigured. The issues have been disussed for months in this forum and it is not related to the Vero4k alone, but also to S905x devices in combination with the community build of LibreELEC.
Today I’m using a Zidoo X9S for UHD content. Picture quality is ok but it has also several disadvantages. I also tried the Apollo Lake platform but because of the crippled DP2HDMi2.0-converter (LSPCON) and more than bad linux support from intel one can just throw this platform out of the window.
Sadly to say but I didn’t find a one fits it all mediaplayer solution. My biggest hope ist that Sam can solve the issues regarding Vero4k. Then this might be the ultimate player solution. But today I would not recommend it being used for homecinema especially when using it with a projector where you can easily see the regression in picture quality compared to a “real” UHD player.

I really got no idea what you are talking about… setting 444,10bit Planet Earth 2 looks f’ing amazing with HDR and all.

I found myself a 10bit file with BT.709 colorspace.
Setting it to 10bit switches colorspace to BT.2020 it seems just like with the Kodi menu, the movie is kinda unwatchable this way.
Luckily the first for me :slight_smile:

Never mind that you dont know what I’m talking about. Enjoy your amazing experience.

Hi all. I can’t seem to get the 10bit setting to work on the Vero using the update via terminal on my iMac. I can only get 8 bit 4:2:0, whereas playing the same file via my Panny ub900 gets me 12bit 4:2:2 (albeit no hd audio passthrough hence it’s unusable).

I notice a sizeable image improvement when streaming the same files via the Panny UHD player, so hoping I can get the same via the Vero as is otherwise excellent.

The panny has one of the best subsampling, so that would be quite hard to beat, but Sam will do his best to get as close as possible I’m sure :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems with the picture quality. We are working on this.

My understanding is that there are problems with HDR flicker on a limited number of displays. The problem itself will not present with standard 4K UHD material.

We have a 14 day money back guarantee after the receipt of the device.

If you had problems, then you should raise them in this time. This usually gives people ample time to work out if the Vero 4K meets their needs.

Further to this, we release an update every month. To my knowledge, no other device vendor does this. This means a lot of fixes and improvements make it in every month. They may not be specific to this issue, but they are still included and we have to give all issues good coverage.

Depends on your display, to put it briefly. We are working on improvements. There’s also improved picture quality coming in the next update.

Update re this issue: I’ve been using the LG New York 4K UHD demo clip for my testing.

I used to notice a lot of flickering in the sky when the Flat Iron building shows.

After some improvements, I no longer notice this. Can others please test and confirm?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam - is there a test build on the test channel that includes the improvements? i.e. how do we get them and test?