After upgrading to 2015-09.2 no TV Show information anymore (RPi2)

@sam_nazarko Yes, I access my TV Show folder through NFS on my NAS server.

As @bfqrst has pointed us into a possible solution, I’ll try to find some time (maybe tomorrow) for a fresh install of 2015-09.2 and perform another test where I will access the TV Shows on my NAS both through NFS and SMB and see if there is any difference between the two access methods. Once done, I’ll post my findings.

Thanks for the support so far, especially @bfqrst!

Might be more helpful if you could provide a debug enabled log demonstrating a failure to find new media as @bfqrst did so that we can compare and see if you are even suffering from the same issue. There are dozens of reasons why scrapers might fail to update metadata.

Now it is really getting weird. I did a fresh install of 2015-09.2 (as I did before and using the same downloaded image) and after adding the TV Shows (NFS) and an update of the library…all meta data is collected now…shoot me what was wrong before. I’m going to run some more tests and if I find something, I’ll report it here.

@bfqrst …many thanks for your assistance but for me the problem is solved now… :smile:
and the fact that you have observed the same behavior means I don’t need to feel utterly stupid…

No way! :confused:

Okay it’s on me now! Truth to be told the left arrow -> update library thing never really worked for me. It just failed to find shows. Well it helped that the Update library on startup in settings DID find the new elements after reboots. So being new to the whole Pi / OSMC / Kodi thing I thought I was doing something wrong.

I searched the web today and I am beginning to think that this isn’t a OSMC issue actually. I’m inclined to put this on Kodi.

So what are we taking away from this?

• left arrow -> update library does a different search (fast hash as well as not fast hash) whereas Scan for new content indexes everything file by file no matter what the hashes were.
  • nofail option in fstab kinda messes with the udisks-glue mechanism sometimes
  • exFAT formatted drives are not playing that nice with the fast hash algorithm

At this point I’m happy for any input on this. I am ready to format my HDD in ext4 but right about I’m lacking a drive big enough to temporarily hold my data.

@cloggy Just so we’re on the same page, when you say all metadata is collected now, you mean after the initial indexing of the shows and movies. You’re basically saying when you add new content and do the left arrow -> Update library thing, new stuff is recognized? Just asking 'cause we learned that not all update mechanisms work the same way under the hood…

Cheers

EDIT 18:59 It may be nothing but on every manual left arrow -> Update library I only see Scanning using The Movie Database before flashing Compressing database

Ho @bfqrst, I did several tests and I removed the resource TV Shows several times and after adding it and setting the content (TV-Shows) it started to update the library and each and every time all TV Shows, including ALL episodes, were added. One moment I suspected the theme I am using (Titan), but switching back and forth between several themes did not give me the error back.

Based on your last update, I ran another test:

1. I removed a TV Show from the library and also took care it was completely removed from my NAS server.
  2. Verified the TV Show library to be sure it was not shown again.
  3. Added the TV Show back to my NAS server and ran an Update library
  4. The newly added TV Show was not in the list after the ‘Update Library’
  5. Went to the source and performed a ‘Scan for new content’ and only now the TV Show is listed in the library again.

So bottom line, we are still having the problem and maybe lots of people have the same issue but are not aware of it yet…

Okay mate, so we’re back to square one…

Would you do me favor? Try the following steps please:

1. Make sure OSMC forgets about all your shows.
  2. Clean database in settings
  3. Activate Update Library on startup in settings
  4. Apply Sams anti fast hash setting
  5. Add your shows back in minus one episode
  6. Expectation: At his point indexing is performed and everything is recognized just fine
  7. Reboot
  8. Expectation: nothing changed, still okay
  9. Add the missing epsiode
    10a. Left arrow -> update Result? if nothing happens proceed to 10b
    10b. Reboot! Result?

Can you do that for me?

I just want see if the manual update is the same as the update on reboots. 'Cause updates after reboots worked for me prior to the last update…

Thanks

Happy to perform the steps…but my wife will not allow me to it tonight anymore. So, I’m going to do it first thing tomorrow…sorry

That is fine. :grin: Try actually using OSMC for a change instead of debugging it. That’s at least what I’m doing…

Cheers

Hi, due to change in priorities I did not have the time yet to carry out the steps you have asked me. However, what I could quickly do was to install the Kodi add-on Watchdog and this add-on automatically updates my TV Show library with new TV Shows or added new episodes of existing TV Shows. There is no need to perform an “Update the Library” or “Scan for new content” anymore with Watchdog installed as it keeps the library accurate.

…forgot to mention that the Movie library is also kept current by Watchdog… :smile:

I did some more reading during the last two days. I’m pretty certain that this is not a de facto OSMC issue. It’s a HDD file system - Kodi scanning methodology - HDD mounting options kinda thing. A friend of mine who uses Plex on a Synology NAS has a job in place scanning the library every couple of hours. Could be Watchdog even or some built in Plex stuff. Something like this: http://zackreed.me/articles/82-snapraid-with-plexmediaserver.

Or this quote here from the guy coding mergerfs (who I’d assume knows his way around filesystems and stuff):

An example: Kodi and Plex can apparently use directory mtime to more efficiently determine whether or not to scan for new content rather than simply performing a full scan. If using the current default getattr policy of ff its possible Kodi will miss an update on account of it returning the first directory found’s stat info and its a later directory on another mount which had the mtime recently updated. To fix this you will want to set func.getattr=newest. Remember though that this is just stat. If the file is later open’ed or unlink’ed and the policy is different for those then a completely different file or directory could be acted on.

I think a lot of people are relying on watchdog like addons, which are doing a deep full scan. I guess that is why there are not so many experiencing this behavior.

I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that all these posts are somewhat filesystem related. I will try to mount my HDD differently in order to see when those hashing algorithms are firing…

@sam_nazarko , any thoughts on this?

EDIT 17:38 Found this quote from a Kodi developer:

Here´s what happens. The info scanner is generating a hash based on path, date and size for all items for the given path. Clean Library detects a non existing file and nukes the specific entries. Adding back the same file (same path, date and size) is not generating a different hash which makes the scanner skip the directory. This only happens when explicitly skipping fast hash via as.xml.

Hi, that is what I have noticed too. After deleting a TV-Show folder and later adding it again, it does not show up in the library after an Update Library. However, after installing Watchdog, deleting and adding the TV-Show, it will be shown up in the Library again. So, Watchdog clearly works differently than ‘Update Library’…

Nuked the DB folder and started from semi-scratch with a NTFS formatted, OSMC default automounted HDD and fasthash disabled config.

Same issue.

I mean, for crying out loud, there has to be a recommendation from the Kodi developers side on how to mount a filesystem in order for these mechanisms to work correctly right? I will give ext4 a try…

bfqrst

You guys have wasted so much time here. Kodi contains the debug logging function so that when there are issues, you can review the log and see EXACTLY what Kodi is having a problem with. I honestly think that the two of you have been suffering from entirely different issues that just happen to have a similar symptom. One having issues with HDD mounting and the other with scraper failure attributable to who knows what because we can’t get logs. I guess you guys are welcome to waste as much additional time as you want here but if you are bumping/blathering/going in circles here in hopes of some official support, there is a reason you aren’t getting it.

Don’t worry…I’m not going to spend a single second to this scraper issue as Watchdog has solved the issue for me.

You might have hit the nail on the head: there could be 2 different issues.