Another case of OSMC dongle won't connect at 5G

Can you remove the dongle, keep the cable attached and reboot from the Kodi interface.

Then SSH to the device and run paste-log /boot/uploadlog.txt.

Can do! Here is the URL: https://paste.osmc.tv/eyeverewep

Thank you.

This is the problem:

Mar 03 14:42:02 RPi3OSMC1 kernel: RtmpOSFileOpen(): Error 2 opening /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat
Mar 03 14:42:02 RPi3OSMC1 kernel: Open file "/lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat" failed (configuration file not absolutely necessary)

Try:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Plan is to make these changes part of tomorrow’s update.

Sam

1 Like

Also verify that the file exists for you.

Well, dang! I thought we had it, but we don’t.

The file /etc/apt/sources.list existed. I edited it as you described and did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade then rebooted. Perhaps it’s worth noting that when I got to the Pi if was powered off. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. On reboot, I disabled ethernet and unplugged the cable, then tried to connect via wifi. No joy. It behaved exactly the same as it has been.

Then I decided to reboot again by going to Power > Reboot. I got a “sad face” in the middle of that but eventually it booted up. I tried again to connect to 5G and it failed, as it has always failed, with “No Internet”. Then I tried to connect to 2.4G and got the message “Attempt to connect failed”.

Do I need to get rid of the routing command in rc.local?

I have not taken out the line I added to /etc/apt/sources.list yet.

Thanks for your help, Sam. I assume we’re getting close!

Sorry. Most recent logs here: paste.osmc.tv/ohojucuhow

Thanks!

Please forgive me for interjecting, after reading through the thread, it seems to me that the likelihood of configuration issues has been well explored. Can I humbly suggest a that it may be worth pursuing checks against the following items.

• PSU - Is the extra demand of utilising an external wifi module too much for the PSU especially when 5Ghz is selected? Are there any other signs of PSU stress?
  • Range and situation: 5Ghz tends to have a much lower range and have much more difficulty penetrating obstacles. Is the range and positioning of the dongle working against a succesful connection?

Can a stronger PSU be tried? and is it possible to test with the Pi in a better physical location for good wifi (line of sight) connection? I’d also suggest that even if the PSU rating appears adequate it isn’t unknown for PSU’s to fail under stress. The number of sad faces being referenced suggests to me that this might be a possibility.

Just my observations after reading through all the other work that has been going into trying to solve the issue.

I appreciate the feedback and I’m open to any suggestions from the collective. Thank you.

My Pi is part of a CanaKit. The power supply is rated at 5V and 2.5A. From what I’ve read, this is supposed to be adequate for the job at hand. I’ve never seen any message warning me of inadequate power. That said, I’ll defer to the experts here. If I need to get a different power supply, I’ll do that.

The gateway is about 10-12 feet from the Pi, with a drywall wall between them. I have an Android phone, and iPhone, an iPad, and a Windows 7 laptop that operate quite happily quite a ways beyond that range while connected at 5G. If the Pi/OSMC can’t operate within a range of about 15 feet, it’s of little use to me. I guess it’s best to know that now if it’s the case, before I spend any more money.

I don’t know what’s causing the sad faces, but again, I look forward to hearing back from the experts.

If you have a look at the logs (see my next post), youl’ll see a couple nasty looking errors about 1/3 into the file. In particular, it looks like the error Sam flagged didn’t get fixed with the update I installed, either because I installed it wrong, there was something wrong with the update, or there’s yet something else wrong that needs fixing. I’m no expert, and these errors may be caused by factors you cite, but I’m hoping Sam will weigh back in tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I look forward to getting my Pi/OSMC working!

If you are also getting sad faces, then something is not right there.
I know some of the old CanaKit PSUs were less than stellar; but hard to say if this is the problem.

Try:

sudo mv /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.template.dat /lib/firmware/mt7610u_sta.dat

And reboot. That should be it really. I’m not sure why you’d otherwise have such difficulty.

Sam

2 Likes

Sam, that did it! SUCCESS at 5G!

I’ll give it some more testing tomorrow, but things look good right now. One thing I noted is that when I tried to connect wifi, I couldn’t see my 2.4G SSID, only my 5G network. That’s not a big deal, but I thought it was curious.

On the power supply question, my CanaKit is brand new, so I hope it’s not underpowered. I had read somewhere that the operating system flags problems with inadequate power. I’ve never seen any such messages.

I’ll remove the line from etc/apt/sources.list tomorrow before the next update comes out.

Thanks to you and everyone for the great support and patience!

2 Likes

Query for Sam - It looks like this then was a corrupt or failed to update firmware driver for the Wifi usb chipset, yes? It’s a pity that the original mt7610u_sta.dat file wasn’t saved for examination so it could be determined which.

The file is meant to exist as a template.

In an ideal situation, the dongle will auto configure itself for your environment. There are some situations where it cannot however, and that’s when manually defining these files (renaming) can be used.

Sam

1 Like

Thanks for your patience, guys. Hoisted by my own petard, I see, Sam !

I found the thread I was looking for. I needed to add the line sdoverlay=dthost to the config.txt file. On doing that, I regained internet connectivity and my PVR addon loaded correctly. I’m now off to see if I can get my SMB shares loaded.

I had an MPG2 and WC1 License loaded on my “old” configuration and, of course, those licenses aren’t showing up in the new. I’ll dig around my old emails to see if I can find them, but is there any way I can find them on the old SD card somehow?

Also, I’ve tried to access my SMB shares and I’m getting an “Operation not permitted” error. I’m currently in the process of trying to figure that out. These were working fine with the old card.

Thanks again for your patience.

They should be in config.txt, which will be in the first partition of the SD card.

They are persistent after once enable. No need for having them in config.txt anymore

1 Like

If they’re persistent, why did they go away when I loaded a new SD card? (Just curious.)

I actually found the license codes in an email from several years ago and just re-entered them via the OSMC interface. All seems good with them

I did try to find the codes in the old config.txt file but I couldn’t read it from a Windows machine. I have a Linux machine but it’s old and very slow, so I looked through my old emails and found the codes.

Thanks for your help.

They are persistent as in “stored inside the device” and not on the SDCard.