Any update on the Pi4?

We haven’t released Buster yet.

Thanks for your continued work on it, and the updates, @sam_nazarko. I appreciate it, and look forward to using OSMC/Plex on my Pi4!

1 Like

Any update for Pi4?

Well reading above gives the answer

1 Like

Hi @sam_nazarko ,

I know you must be getting quite tired of people asking for updates re the RP4, but is there any chance you have a rough idea of a time line, i.e. weeks / months. Just I am debating whether or not to wait for OSMC RP4

As explained previously, we have to release Buster first.

2 Likes

Hi @sam_nazarko,

Ah yep I recall one of your previous comments, I guess my question would be better rephrased as, do you have a rough idea of when buster will be released (I read in OSMC update to Buster forum that “the repo is already built so it can be used already in theory”)

And then if you can hazard a guess for the time it would take to release OSMC RP4 after Buster is released, that I’m sure would be greatly appreciated by a few of the folk waiting :slightly_smiling_face:

As has been stated before, when it’s ready. There are not a whole load of things to sort before Buster is released but there ARE still issues. If these can be resolved quickly then testing can start quickly, if these take longer to resolve then testing will be delayed. If more problems crop up in testing then these will need fixing too.
Sam is not being awkward when he says “when it’s ready” it’s because it’s a bit open ended and it’s unknown how long these things will take to resolve.

3 Likes

Hi,
I have the Pi4B 8Gb and I was hoping to run OSMC and Kodi, with SMB shares. Obviously it’s not ready yet, which is somewhat frustrating.

What is this about releasing Buster first? I thought Buster was released, or is this because 64Bit buster is still in beta?

Will the new release include a 64Bit compatible version?

Cheers

There needs to be an OSMC release of Buster before we can continue with Pi 4 support.

We will indeed try and target Aarch64 kernel with ARMhf userland, so you’ll be able to see all 8GB, although OSMC in typical use would never use anything near that

Sam

To be fair, I was thinking future proofing a little by buying the 8Gb as I thought for the small difference in cost between 8Gb and 4Gb it seemed silly not to. I’m intending to build a media centre which will have a lot of drives etc. and also be a home file server. I would also like to do some retro gaming of old Sega Genesis, Gameboy etc.

How much RAM and GPU does OSMC typically like? I thought it would probably want a fair amount for buffering, particularly with the pain in the backside codecs YouTube etc. use.

Presumably the 32Bit version can also be compiled for the Pi4, but will just use 4Gb RAM?

We won’t release a 32-bit version for Pi4 if the 64-bit kernel works well.

You need less than 512MB RAM for typical operation. Retro games push that up a bit, but everything works comfortably on a 1GB Pi3.

just a gentle bump about the status of osmc RP4 version and to postulate my self for some testing since I just got a RP4.

big kudos sam!!

:point_up:

3 Likes

where it can be follow? busters i mean

We need more feedback.

2 Likes

[quote="[TESTING] Debian 10 Buster, post:1, topic:86957"]
Debian 10 (Buster)
[/quote]

OK, where can we find Debian 10 (Buster) release for testing. Soon I’ll get 8GB version of Rpi4 and I would love to test it.

There is no RPi4 testing version available yet. And Buster is already in stable branch.

Discussions in the Raspian and LibreELEC space on watching VC1-encoded content on the Raspberry Pi 4, say that playback will not be as smooth as on RPi 1–3 until a new multicore software decoder is made available, and that hasn’t happened yet (at least not as of last spring). When OSMC ships its Raspberry Pi 4 version, will smooth VC1 playback be available right away, or will this only come at some undetermined time in the future?

No

Yes