Auto-mount problem

/dev/sda1 is your system partition, so lets leave that alone!

/dev/sdb1 is the partition we want to work with.

You can try adding this to your /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbdrive ntfs-3g defaults,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000, 0 0

Once it’s added, without rebooting, try these commands:

sudo umount /media/* to unmount Big Basement from /media/.
sudo mount -a to try mounting everything in /etc/fstab

If you get no errors from these and you can access your drive from /mnt/usbdrive/ then you should be safe to reboot. If not, remove or comment out the line you added to your fstab before rebooting.

Hello
Well all seems to have gone well. No errors were reported.
These were done one step at a time.
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo nano /etc/fstab (Your suggested line was added here)
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo umount /media/* (Wild card * was left in and Big Basement is gone )
umount: /media/README: not mounted
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo mount -a (Mounted in /mnt/usbdrive and the contents from Big Basment can be seen there in WinSCP. However not in the household WorkGoup under SMB)

So I guess the next step is a reboot, Try one and report the results.
Looking good and thanks again.

Hi
Well sorry to report that I , and only I, hosed it. Had to do a new install, blah :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
It wouldn’t start at all, even tried plugging in a usb keyboard and holding the shift key, no response at all and that was on a OSMC release 1 – with the ‘late’ July update.
Well you live and learn. Big Basement is now back in /media and is for now a part of the Samba network . Think I’ll just leave it alone for awhile.
Thanks for your help, I’ve learned a few things along the way.

Always good to get these little issues out of the way before you’ve got your install very customized.

I did the same…or so I though. I put the sd card in a usb reader and navigated to the fstab in ubuntu. Reversed the edit and saved. You don’t have to toast the install due to a bad fstab entry.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, however only puter here is running Win 10, and of course cannot read let alone write to the SD card after I hosed it, Couldn’t get in with PuTTY nor WinSCP, no net response nor USB keyboard.

But as mentioned above, all is running now and the USB HDD is in /media/Big Basment.

Hi ive also mounted the usb hdd using fstab so it issnt mounted as media.
that works fine but with 1 problem.

if i disconnect the USb hdd while the pi is running and reattach it, the hdd gets mounted in media agn.
the /mnt mount is empty than.
i need to reboot the Pi to be able to use it with the fstab mount agn.

how can i fix that it gets automounted to the /mnt again?

Hi

Do you plan to use the automounter at all? If not, you may wish to masks the udisks-glue service.

Sam

hi,

for that drive not, but maybe if i would attach another one that automaounter would be fine.
how is that automount done on OSMC ?

Disconnecting and reconnecting an external drive that you have mounted in fstab is not recommended - you’re going to see precisely the problem that you are seeing.