Automatic refresh rate issue on UHD video playback

Yes, the judder is most pronounced with slow pans and as for the soap opera effect I perceive it just as something not looking and feeling quite right. From what I remember reading about it in the past it is highly variable from person to person how much someone can even notice it, and then further variability on if they have a preference and how that preference lies.

On a PC there might not be as much judder or other artifacts as with something else. A modern PC likely has all kinds of clever manipulations a video card can perform.

Converting 24fps to 60Hz isn’t usually done in a way that generates soap opera effect, in my experience. (Soap Opera Effect is created when you turn on motion interpolation - that actually generates entirely new frames in between the ones contained in the video; the name comes from the fact that it makes film look like something shot in a TV studio). Instead, they usually just repeat frames in a 3:2:3:2 pattern - first frame is shown for 3/60ths of a second, then the second frame for 2/60ths of a second, and so on. The effect of that is that what should be smooth motion becomes juddery, as if the moving object is going faster-slower-faster-slower.

Some people are much more sensitive to this than others. Some people don’t notice it at all, others (like me) are driven insane by it. You might be one of the ones who is less sensitive. It’s also possible your TV/monitor isn’t actually configured to be able to show 24fps movie material at 24Hz - if you have motion interpolation turned on, that can mess up 24fps. Alternatively, it could be that the television is intelligent enough to recognise the 3:2:3:2 frame repeating pattern and convert that back to 24fps on the fly, so that even with 60Hz input you’re actually seeing 24fps on the screen. Without knowing what your TV is and what all your image processing settings are set to, it’s hard to say.

2 Likes

Reading all the comments to this post, especially the very last one, I now understand what I have experienced with different video and player videos settings were not issues but features of OSMC Kodi. Topic to close on ‘user misunderstanding expected software behaviour’.

1 Like