Backup SD card

I wouldn’t recommend physical copies of the files. I think mysqldump is smart enough to capture a consistent snapshot of the database and, importantly, is still restorable if the server decides to upgrade MySQL (I speak from experience!). The commands you show look about right but I can’t test as I don’t use MySQL for Kodi.

It’s a good idea to stop mediacenter anyway on the off-chance something gets written to the database while backing up. You’ve reminded me to add it to my backup script. :sunglasses:

If it were me, I’d read up about it here and here and then test if it works like I thought. Did you test if your commands work?

Yes. It works but I thinked best options exist.

It’ll be nice and more useful.

Physical copies have the benefit of simplicity, which is important in a domestic-use environment. And when it comes to restoring data, there are no unpleasant surprises, like oops, did I forget that option? Journalling is all fine and dandy but we’re not talking about a 24x7 system here. I’ll stick with KISS.

Well maybe I’ve missed something, but I’d be hard pressed to tell the OP exactly which files to back up and how to restore following a mysql re-installation. OTOH mysqldump is well documented.

To answer the first part: innodb - How to take physical backup of MYSQL database - Database Administrators Stack Exchange Regarding the second part, it is voluminously documented (I like that word ;)) which is a problem for someone who doesn’t want to read and properly understand the documentation And that’s just the backup.

Well since this is way off-topic and really a kodi/MySQL question, not OSMC, lets leave it at that.

I also tried the rpi-clone, but it does not work on OSMC.

How did you do the backup of all partitions of OSMC? Also there is a problem if the card has different size as the original one right?

I dont think so, that Paragon can do this…

You are welcome to try this.

Hi there, would like to jump ont the back of this thread if you don’t mind.

I am trying to use Win32diskimage to back up my OSMC SD card. It sees both partitions on the card as separate drives.

Do I do a Read of both?
How would I restore them if I ever should following a card corruption? Just reverese the process on both parttions?

Thanks in advance.

Just thinking ahead.

Yes

Yes

1 Like

Thanks!