Backup whole osmc system (not just kodi settings)/ Acess internal storage

i guess sams idea (we had a discussion in private chat about this) for restoring was to reinstall a fresh vero, boot into recovery mode and dd the partitions from an external device back to the internal storage.

don’t you think that would work?

That will work – but only if you backup correctly. There’s also a risk of making your system unbootable by doing this.

Sam

@sam_nazarko: could you specify what you mean by “backup correctly”? would the above script be the correct way?

cheers
B

You need to backup and restore with all of those block devices not in use. This can only be done from OSMC’s initramfs.

oh ok i understand (so forget the idea with cron i guess ^^)…

You need to be clear about the difference between the block devices, like /dev/data, and the partition itself, which in this case is /dev/vero-nand/root. You can always dd from the root partition but, as you probably know, it’s an all-or-nothing type of backup, and restoring the data might be challenging. On an active system, there’s also the possibility of data changing on the fly during the backup process, leading to an inconsistent backup.

I’d advise taking DBMandrake’s advice from post #8 and avoid relying on a bare metal, full-system backup/restore via dd.

ok, seems like this whole system backup is just too difficult for a basic user. even the rsync method does not really seem to be working ([How to] Make periodic backups of whole OSMC system - #36 by bendsch).

to be honest i am a bit lost here and also quite disappointed that the staff does not really help to find a concrete solution for this. could anyone provide a understandable how to guide?

cheers bendsch

1 Like

So you didn’t see, where just 5 posts above, the developer of this software advised that this method is not recommended? Linux systems are not intended to be backed up while they are running. I’m not sure how we can make this more clear… We have though, placed a method of backing up your Kodi config/settings and it can be found in the MyOSMC addon. Searching this forum for the keyword “backup” should provide dozens of references to this.

3 Likes

I don’t see why you need to backup the internal partitions.

All you should need to backup is your user data. This can be done with rsync. We’ve had this discussion for some time. I’m not sure what you can’t backup using the officially recommended OSMC methods.

The thread you linked to is a HowTo, but not a concrete endorsement. That’s not to say that @grahamh’s work isn’t appreciated, just to say that he likely developed it for the hardware that he has in mind.

i think you completely miss the point. it is about backing up the whole system like trohn_javolta already explained a couple of times. the internal method just backs up kodi with its addons and settings plus the osmc folder. but not the other changes in os (additionally installed debian packages and their config files, fstab, cron, etc. etc. …) .

i guess all we are looking for is a more precise description how to do that. after you disadvised me to go for the fulll hardware backup with dd method (saying that it would be difficult to do a restore that way) i was trying another approach via rsync - but without having a clear understanding how the vero2 system is built its simply impossible for me to find solution that way (as said, i am just a linux user with basic skills).

if you don’t have time to give us a more precise explanation how to do that with vero2 i will understand that. just wanted to tell you that your general answers are not helping at this point.

thats all.
cheers
bendsch

1 Like

You can backup at the block level, just understand that it’s not recommended, in the same way you don’t back up your iPhone or Android phone by dumping the internal storage 1.1