Best TV Tuner for Vero/OSMC

Sam,

I’ve been using the SundTek DVB-S2 for a few years now.
This one:

I can highly recommend it. The HD playback is excellent. And the
setup is quite simple.

They have a script on their website which you download (setup.sh).
The script copies the fw file to your /lib/firmware, and then installs
an executable (mediaclient) which automatically runs at startup.

Once that’s done, it will appear in TVHeadend, and you just tune in
the MUXes and channels as normal.

I’ve had this for a few years (could be around 4 years). I have a
separate RPI running Raspbian with only TVHeadend. On this RPI
I have two USB TV tuners plugged in: DBV-T (ITE9135) and the SundTek DVB-S2.

I have managed previously to have all of this running on one Pi with RaspBMC (and later OSMC).
But I would not recommend it. It’s just a lot of hassle trying to keep
everything running at the same time. In my experience, life is much easier
to have separate TVHeadend server (RPI), and then just use the client in OSMC.

Only issue is if you are recording HD and want to watch a live HD channel at
the same time, then you might start to see some picture breakup. We seldom (almost never) watch and record at the same time, so for us it’s not really an issue.

I thought about replacing the RPI with RPI2 for my TVHeadend server.
I might do that at some stage - but the existing setup is working fine.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Niall.

2 Likes

Great news Sam.

Ade

Quick question. Is there a big difference between using a dongle type tuner, or using a stb like vu+ (vu+ addon)?

Hi

Thanks for the great reply regarding the Sundtek tuner, I recently bought the Sundtek MediaTV tuner and want to get it working with the Vero. Do you have the link to the script you refer to so I can give it a try?

Thanks

Ade

Hello Ade,

Here’s the instructions (actually the script is called ‘sundtek_netinst.sh’,
and not setup.sh).

I copied this from here: Raspberry Pi - Sundtek driver?
This is what I use, and it works fine for me.

Sundtek:
Quick Installation:

Zitat

cd /tmp
wget http://sundtek.de/media/sundtek_netinst.sh
chmod 777 sundtek_netinst.sh
./sundtek_netinst.sh

Choosing between DVB-C and DVB-T:
Zitat

/opt/bin/mediaclient -DDVBC
or
/opt/bin/mediaclient -DDVBT

Please note only the netinstaller will work on the RPI (the netinstaller only requires around 5mb temporary space, while the multi-arch installer requires around 50mb).

Additional the RPI needs an active USB hub to support USB TV devices (since the board only provides 125mA (instead of 500mA USB 2.0 Spec)

Best regards,
Niall.

Thanks for the information, should this be the same for the Vero @sam_nazarko ?

Yes – the setup is independent of the kernel version

S

Ok installed the drivers successfully and changed to DVD-T but I’m getting stuck setting up TVheadend. When adding networks I’m choosing DVB-T but seeing no presets to choose. also the TV adapter naming looks a little ‘corrupt’.

I’ve used TVHeadend on my Synology DiskStation and when adding networks it shows a number of presets, not so for TVheadend on Vero/OSMC.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ade

Can you upload a full set of logs from the My OSMC section?

S

Here you go.

http://paste.osmc.io/azubuxovod

@sam_nazarko : hi sam, do you have plans to support hdhomerun tuners directly from Appstore tvheadend instal, or should i better configure stuff manually?

Any thoughts on what’s wrong @sam_nazarko?

@Luna:

I have already done the ‘heavy’ lifting of getting dvb_hdhomerun in the kernel. I will always ship this module with the kernel so you won’t need to worry about recompiling it every kernel update which would be quite problematic. You just need to install ‘libhdhomerun1’ and set up the userspace part of it. Once that’s done though, it will work permanently.

I am not sure whether I’ll be supporting it in TVHeadend in the App Store yet. Firstly, I need to fix TVHeadend as it’s causing issues for some.

@apt Our TVHeadend in the App Store is still slightly problematic, hence the very large thread on TVHeadend. Should be able to fix it shortly, but fixing a couple of other Vero issues at this moment. A quick perusal of your logs shows me nothing abnormal. I see

09:54:39 T:1592402976   ERROR: EPG - Update - failed to update table 'Channel 5+1'```

So it seems you've managed to successfully scan for channels? 

S

Thanks for the quick reply Sam. A persistent one time setup is good enough for me.

Nope not even able to add networks sucessfully as no presets shown. What you may be seeing in the logs are from the TVheadend install on my DiskStation which seems to be working ok. I wanted to just use Vero however which isn’t working.

Any ETA on fixing TVheadend?

In the version you are installing there are no presets, in the box you are showing you enter the name you want to call the network, select “Network Discovery” and “Skip initial scan” and then select create. You then need to go to the Muxes tab and manually set up one mux (I found this info on the Internet for my local Freeview transmitter), having “Network Discovery” enabled will allow it to discover all the associated muxes.

That said I didn’t have any luck with the AppStore version, when it scanned it didn’t find any channels. So I built Tvheadend following HarryL’s instructions.

Edit: Note in HarryL’s version there is a preset to select your local transmitter in the Network window.

That’s great information thanks @pscriven, I’ll give it a try.

Hi - I just wondered if you got this to work in the end. I might try and buy one myself. Thanks

Whenever you need some feedback from us just let me know.

The top issue really seems to be a latency issue the system is not fast enough to grab the video data from the tuner.
It should work without any problem with the RPI 2/3.

@mrechberger this post is for Vero 1 from last year. It shouldn’t have any problems with Sundtek devices