Black Screen after ATV Install with HDMI/DVI adapter

Reposting to this thread as I received no response in other ATV1 HDD Install thread:

Evening all, and thanks to the OSMC team for all of your hard work!

I’ve been trying to install OSMC to my ATV1 HDD since the first installers were posted without success. I discovered there were issues with the first HDD installer, so left it and waited till a fix was posted. I’ve since tried with the December '15 and January '16 builds/installers but have not yet had any success. All I get once the install is complete is a black screen.

My setup is:

ATV 1 - transcend 64GB SSD, Crystal HD card. Wired ethernet.
HDMI out of ATV1, connected to DVI input on a Samsung LCD via a HDMI to DVI adapter/converter.

Steps to reproduce:

Install using USB key. I get through format and installing files successfully.
Remove USB key when prompted.
Pull the plug.
Power up.
Behaviour: After the splash screen, I get the blue OSMC screen, then black screen, then a flicker, then black screen and it just stays black.
Have tried installing a number of times and still get the same thing. One of the attempts this evening resulted in the “?” on the image of the Apple TV. Pulled the plug and rebooted and after the splash screen and blue OSMC screen it just goes black as previously. I also tried using component out (only) and I get the same black screen.

I can confirm that OSMC is running as I hear the ‘swoosh’ when I use the remote and the LED on the ATV blinks, but I get no picture.

I’m assuming the HDMI/DVI adapter/converter (and the fact that I’m using DVI vs. HDMI as input to my screen) is not causing the problem as I do get a picture on reboot and when installing.

You need to configure a Xorg.conf

That assumption is wrong.
When Kodi launches on the ATV1 it uses Xorg for it’s gui.

You get a blackscreen, because Xorg can’t automatically determine what video mode/resolution to use for your DVI/HDMI hardware.

As Sam says, You will need to manually configure your Xorg.conf

OSMC on the ATV1 works out of the box with HDMI and composite connections. Anything out of the ordinary would need to be manually configured using the Xorg documention