Buffering/Stuttering of 1080p Videos

Without knowing exactly what type of file you’re trying to play on your Pi 3, I’m guessing you need the VC-1 and MPEG-2 codec licenses. A Pi will not play those files smoothly until you have purchased them and then entered the license keys through OSMC.

I had a lot of problems trying to get my Pi/OSMC not to stutter until I read that the license codecs need to be purchased. Once I did that, it worked perfectly, and I haven’t had a problem in over a year, not even a little bit.

You can buy the codec licenses here:

http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/

Also, after I purchased and input the codec license codes into OSMC, it did not matter what type of file sharing protocol I chose for my Pi - Windows and NFS both worked smoothly and flawlessly after that.

Naturally, you’ll want to go with NFS so that file scrapers work, because if you choose Windows or MAC file sharing protocol, the scrapers won’t organize your library. You’ll still be able to access your files, but it won’t scrape unless you use NFS.

This is not accurate. There are thousands of OSMC users who use smb/samba/Windows sharing to populate their libraries.

1 Like

You can populate your library with any file sharing protocol. I was speaking about compatibility with some of the more popular media scrapers, like Universal Scraper or what not.

SMB/SAMBA work fine. Universal Scraper, from what I recall, doesn’t jive with Windows or MAC protocols. I read that NFS is the best protocol to use to get the scrapers to work properly. My experience fit the advice I read. That was two years ago though, so maybe things are different now.

Hello!
I have the problem too. If i play 1080p video, the Raspberry pi 2 didn’t start to prebuffer. The network speed is ok, if i copy from the ftp to internal sd it can reach 6 mB/s. If i start 720p video, everything is correct, the buffer line (light grey) is start to growing. My advancedsettings.xml contain this:

<cache>
	<memorysize>157286400</memorysize>
	<buffermode>1</buffermode>
	<readfactor>4.0</readfactor>
</cache>

The version is 2018.10-1. What should i do to prebuffer 1080 content too?

This topic is 2 years old! Please start a new topic, and supply the information we will need to help you.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot: