Cannot install Docker on Raspberry Pi2 with OSMC

This is journalctl -xe output
`The unit docker.service has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 23 21:45:27 osmc systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.
Subject: A start job for unit docker.service has failed
Defined-By: systemd
Support: Debian -- User Support

A start job for unit docker.service has finished with a failure.

The job identifier is 3125 and the job result is failed.
Jan 23 21:45:27 osmc systemd[1]: docker.socket: Failed with result ‘service-start-limit-hit’.
Subject: Unit failed
Defined-By: systemd
Support: Debian -- User Support

The unit docker.socket has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘service-start-limit-hit’`

I need full logs and the output from when you try/tried to install docker.

Sorry if I misunderstood…

when I tried to install docker with the script provided on docs.docker.com this is what I got

• sleep 20
  • sh -c apt-get update -qq >/dev/null
  • sh -c DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y -qq apt-transport-http s ca-certificates curl >/dev/null
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Where can I fetch more logs you need?

grab-logs -A

then post the URL.

Oh yes! :roll_eyes: It’s a while I’m not on the osmc console…
Here it is, thanks for support!
https://paste.osmc.tv/wixupiqago

It’s an iptables problem. Run this:

sudo update-alternatives --config iptables

When prompted enter 1 (iptables-legacy), then reboot and try to reinstall docker.

:+1: Thanks a lot for quick reply!
I cannot reboot right now, but I’ll do what you suggest as soon as possible -family is watching Narnia Chronicles on Kodi…

1 Like

It worked! Thank you very much again for your help! At least docker run hello world worked, now I can start testing tronity-sync :blue_car:
Cheers!

1 Like

Quick question on this as I am about to experiment with Docker on OSMC on an old RPi.

Was the iptables command needed because of something unusual about his installation or would all recent OSMC installs need that to be done?

I think it’ll be required for all Docker installations on kernel 4.19 (RPi), due to that version of the (OSMC) kernel lacking support for nftables. This omission should be fixed in the next kernel version. (Your question was RPi-related but, AFAICT, the current V4K kernel, 3.14, also lacks support for nftables.)