CPU hits 100% on HD HomeRun Content while not happening with OE AND CB?

I just installed this last night. I have Crystalbuntu on two other ATV’s and Openelec on one other. The new OSMC box pegs the CPU on any 1080 content while the other boxes are 60-90% on the exact same content. Most of it is over-the-air via an HDHomerun Extend. When it goes to 100%, it also occasionally buffers which the other ATV’s do not. Is this a possible flaw in the implementation of the Crystal HD card?

HI Dave,
I have split your question into it’s own thread so it can get the attention it needs.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. Please see How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC for advice on how to help us.

I do not decode MPEG2 content via CrystalHD anymore as it does not work reliably.

Press ‘O’ to bring up on screen statistics. If it’s ‘chd-h264-osmc’ then CrystalHD is being used, if it’s ‘ffmpeg-’, then it’s not.

Sam

@sam_nazarko - Was the chip not able to do it, or has something changed in XBMC/Kodi? Or this is only with OSMC?

I am wondering why? …When you say not work reliably… how/ why? Link me if this was discussed on Kodi or other forums before and I missed it.

Kodi doesn’t support CrystalHD any more, so you won’t find much there

The issue is that the decoder doesn’t like all MPEG2 streams and for VC1 it needs to be set up in a way that no one really worked out how

Always better to decode MPEG2 in software for more consistent results

1 Like

FWIW: When mpeg2 decoding was enabled, I would occasionally have to disable the CHD to get playback to work for some files.
Having to toggle the CHD on and off got to be a PITA.

1 Like