Create a usb drive auto-mounting solution that always works

Hi Sam, thanks for responding.

First of all I don’t mean to be rude even if I might be coming across that way. I got a bit wound up about this and it’s important to me to understand what’s going on so your help is very appreciated.

Out of interest why is udev/udevil not flexible enough for OSMC?

About my Pi 1 Model B you say “this model cannot provide enough power for an external hard drive without a USB hub or external power supply” but it can and does when I am running LibreELEC. Why do you think my usb drives mount and get Samba shares when my Pi is running LibreELEC but not when the same Pi is running OSMC?

My set up and logs are in the other thread I made recently. I use a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B, circa 2014. Here is the power supply which I bought about six weeks ago new. Here is the log I posted previously taken after two usb keys were attached and neither mounted. Here is a log when the two usb keys DID auto-mount. But it doesn’t matter if one is attached or more… 9 times out of 10 it/they don’t auto-mount.

I don’t think I would say the Pi I use has a usb issue? As you pointed out previously the Pi Model 1 B usb drive is not hot plug-able. It actually reboots when you put a usb key into it or take it out… it’s inconvenient but would that stop osmc from auto-mounting a usb key on it?

As to my post on the LibreELEC forum about my mount issues with udevil on osmc. Yes, I tried to install udevil on OSMC. But I didn’t configure it properly at all, I didn’t use any udev rule, which I now understand a bit more thanks to their response explaining how their udev rule calls udevil to do the mount. I suspect that is why it wasn’t working properly although I could be wrong.

Also I couldn’t figure out how to really disable/mask udisks and udisks-glue. systemctl disable udisks doesn’t seem to work because other services seem to depend on it so they start udisks when they start at next reboot. I tried masking the udisks service but then when I went to reverse that I couldn’t get udisks to start again so I re-installed it but I think I installed the wrong version, I think there’s a osmc-udisks? After that I ended up just doing a fresh install of OSMC and made a backup this time!

Call me crazy but I would like to try the LibreELEC approach on OSMC. Can you help me? I have made a backup now so can try anything and go back. What is the best way to totally stop the functioning of udisks/udisks-glue? I tried systemctl disable and that isn’t reliable. I can try some or all the combinations from this thread. Other than that do you think it reasonable to try set up the LibreELEC approach exactly as they have described it? Would I need to do anything differently for osmc?

Thank you,

Flex