Denon X-3400H --> 4k video is unreliable (black screen) [Solved]

Sam, I ran your test. The result is interesting.
It still fails every once in a while with 4k movies, but in a different way.
I’m using Titan Skin, and in the failed case, when I push play, the little play icon shows on the poster of the movie, a circle spin like the movie is about to start, but nothing actually plays and the screen continues to show the library view.
Evidently the system thinks is playing something because of the play icon. If I push stop, the icon goes away.

I have another question for you, as this is evidently not my field. I would like to convince myself that the problem is the cable, but if that was the case, why the problem only happens when I start a movie? If a movie starts correctly, then I never ever had the screen going black during the movie playing. I would expect that a cable problem would manifest at any time, but I never had a video drop or anything like that.

Thanks again. I know this is weekend and I don’t expect you to work until Monday.

I suspect once it works it stays working because both devices have locked on.

A kernel log when the signal is lost would be useful.

Is it possible to run a shorter cable to the projector just for some quick testing purposes

Sam

Sam, is there something we can do with debug logs?
I got kinda the same issue with a 1m cable to the AVR.

Yes — if you’re sure it’s the same issue then post a debug log when your display is blank, and check the value of attr

Sam, I assume that kernel log is not included in grab-logs. How do I grab it?

It should be.

are these not what you need?

I have same problem. Using Vero 4K and Marantz SR5010 receiver. January update played 4K content just fine. After that i had banding issues. Latest April update banding. When i enable HDR switching, i will get black screen. Also tried patch which enables always 10bit. Now i’m unable to watch any HDR content. Cable is original one that was supplied with Vero 4K. Is there easy solution to remove the patch? Until there is solution i will watch movies with banding issues(8bit).

Enabling 10-bit output permanently shouldn’t be giving you a black screen.

Can you confirm if this is still the case when the Vero 4K is directed directly to the display; and if it occurs with HDR auto-switching disabled?

You can remove the line from /etc/rc.local and reboot to disable the permanently enabled 10-bit output.

Hi,

Did you try disabling HPD Lock? It’s not needed for all situations.

This might sound stupid and I’ve not read the thread fully but… have you tried plugging the reciever cable into a port nearer the HDMI out ports? The closer the better. Denon themselves have advised people try this who have problems.

I’ve got my Vero plugged into port 5 (labelled media player) with a 10m run to pj and its fine.

Mines a Denon x2400h.

Honestly I don’t remember at which steps of the experiments I messed with that setting. I’ll revert to default on that and see if it makes a difference.

Yes, I’m using the last possible port (I believe it is port 7)

disabling HPD lock doesn’t solve the problem (I rebooted the vero after changing the setting, but receiver and TV stayed on)

Sorry – I don’t have a solution at this time.

Unfortunately I’m getting confused about all the specific setups. Does this work with a direct connection to your display?

Sam

Sam, I understand, this is tricky. The main problem is that this is not a black and white problem. It works most of the time, but then sometimes it doesn’t work. Yesterday it was working perfectly, but today I can’t start a movie.

I’ll test the direct connection tonight, but the issue is, even if that works when I try, I’m not sure what’s that is going to prove, because the issue is so infrequent. On the other end, if even direct connection fails with short cable, that might give a clue, maybe. I’ll keep you posted.

I’m just changing all the factors I can change and see if any of them fixes my problem. It seems some kind of handshake problem.

If there’s any more diagnostic or logging I can do, I’d be happy to do it.

For reference, this is my setup:
vero 4k --> 3ft certified high speed cable --> Denon 3400h connected to the closest input to the output port and video conversion disabled) --> 50ft 18gbps active cable from Monoprice – Vizip P-75-C1

I’m running our of ideas, so I ordered a super short (1ft) certified cable to connect the vero to the denon and see if that does anything…

@Giovanni_Garcea,

I have recently purchased a nice Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar and get the same black screen problems with 444,10bit (4K 24p content) IF auto refresh/resolution switching is enabled.
(Direct HDMI connection to the TV has no problems)

If I disable in Kodi > System > Display settings - Auto HDR and also ‘Adjust display refresh rate’ > OFF and manually set 444,10bit with:

echo ‘444,10bit’ > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

Then there is no more Black screen 444,10bit video output issues with my Yamaha combo. It’s the auto Refresh switching that is causing numerous problems.

A 422,10bit Chroma and bit depth is far more reliable with Auto Refresh rate switching enabled - BUT there is the green screen Bug with that combo.

If we could identify and fix 422,10bit then I believe we would get far better compatibility with a whole range of AVR’s, Soundbars and 4:2:2 only Projectors.
4:2:2 is what my Apple TV 4K uses and I have no issues with it when refresh switching.

Yes I’m using 2M High Speed (18Gbps) HDMI 2.0a cables.

So try ‘Adjust display refresh rate’ > OFF as an interim test. Your 4K TV might be able to smooth out some 3:2 pulldown judder even with auto refresh switching disabled.

2 Likes

What is the image quality difference between 444 and 422 (for HDR BluRay full rips)?

Sam,

I finally had time to do the “short cable test”. I connected the vero 4k directly to my TV using a 3ft brand new certified high speed cable and I was able to reproduce the issue.
logs are at: http://paste.osmc.tv/tafamesatu

I started a movie a few times and sometimes it started ok and other times it failed. I’ll try to help you with a few timestamps:

13:02:38.950: failed to start
13:03:15.347: successful start
13:03:46.465: failed to start

In the failed case the TV message says that there is no signal coming from kodi

I hope this helps.
giovanni

I have a 5 meter HDMI (active Nordost Heimdall2 4K HDMI) cable from Marantz AV8802a to LG OLED 65 B7V. And a 1 meter HDMI (Nordost Heimdall2 4K HDMI) from Vero 4K to Marantz AV8802a. Here all 10bit 4:4:4 stuff works flawless (struggled with some buffering issues previously, but they seem to have been solved as well now).

When using the HDMI cable shipped with the Vero4K (from Vero4K to Marantz AV8802a); I experience the same issues mentioned in this thread. Works sometimes, other times not. So 10bit 4:4:4 in UHD is tricky over HDMI; but there is nothing wrong with the Vero4K regarding UHD 4:4:4 10bit signals.

Edit:
I think it is insane with such expensive HDMI cables, but they just work - so I would suggest trying different cables (doesn’t have to be the insanely priced ones), and find a shop that allows you to return if they don’t work. Unless you pay a really high price it is a testing game; going through multiple HDMI cables from different brands until you find something working.

Expensive cables is about consistency during production (and individually test each cable against specifications); with luck you can get one perfect cheap cable. But the cheaper once are usually all over the place regarding HDMI specifications.

Edit2:
Other devices might work well with the same cable, but they most likely run UHD on 4:2:2 10bit which requires less bandwidth from the cable.

Sounds like you got a bad cable. We can replace it.

The timestamps are appreciated.
Log doesn’t show anything meaningful, just discontinuities…

You have HDR autoswitch enabled. It looks like when this does trigger successfully, you have playback problems. Please try disabling. If things then work fine, you need a new cable or you have a Denon receiver…

Sam