Downloaded subtitles are not saved 'Next to video' anymore

I am having the same issue (Vero 4k+) and found this thread while searching for a solution.

In my case videos are stored on a Synology NAS, accessed via SMB3, all movies in a share called “videos”. The username I use to connect to the NAS has read and write access to this share.
On the “videos” share I have a subfolder movies with every movie in its own subfolder.

• I removed all access for this user on my NAS and lost access to all movies (as expected), re-added read and write access after and rebooted everything. Just to confirm access rights really work.
  • like the OP I have also tried saving to a custom folder, that does work. I chose the movies folder in the root of “videos” and I can see the file being saved there. So that’s on the same share…

Not a very advanced user so some of the stuff above I don’t understand. Full log attached (first attempt after reboot is when set to “next to videos”, then I change to “custom folder” and try again. I finish by setting it back to “next to videos” an trying that one more time.)
https://paste.osmc.tv/ejixizevid

Note: found a bug with a related issue: Subtitles not saved with video if "Play from here" option is used · Issue #18128 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub
However in that case subtitles are not saved when using “play from”. In the test above (log) I also used play from. Just did a check on another file playing from start and still have the issue, so my issue seems to be different

It is showing in the logs it trying to write the file and it is getting a permission denied error. Maybe check your .kodi/userdata/passwords.xml file and make sure the credentials used there are the same as what you gave write permission for.

Highly appreciated, it must be an issue with rights on my NAS then. I have already established that write access is enabled on the user. Must not be cascading down to the correct folders then. Re-applying write access hasn’t helped, will try to recreate the user, thx for pointing me in the right direction!

1 Like

I had the same problem that Kodi was putting the downloaded subtitles in .kodi/temp instead of Next to video. The reason was that the share where the video files are was only mounted as read-only. Mounting as read-write solved the problem.