Fast forward and rewind with stock remote

Am I correct that SmallStepBack by default is not enabled on the Vero 4K remote? If I map it to the directional left button, will I lose the ability to skip steps back or is there a way to have both?

Related question: I tried editing default skip steps through the OSMC menu but was unable to do so. I was able to highlight a particular step and select it by pressing the middle button on the remote, but pressing left or right didn’t do anything.

Skip steps are usually configured through Kodi and are usually independent of any remote.

So is it possible to edit skip steps from the GUI with the stock remote?

Yes, it should be. Have you seen https://kodi.wiki/view/Skip_steps?

Or have you seen

?

Not sure if that’s sarcasm, since we already had a nice discussion about VHS.

What I am trying to say is that skip steps don’t seem to be configurable in the OSMC skin for me, and I was asking if I was perhaps doing something wrong. Is the solution suggested by Sam to switch to another Kodi skin, configure the skip steps, and then switch back to OSMC?

The skip steps adjustment should be present in the OSMC skin under Settings / Player / Videos / Actions / Skip steps

I haven’t tested this in the OSMC skin for some time, because I usually restore a backup of my settings on a fresh installation.

I’m not sure why it would be problematic to configure on the OSMC skin, but switching to Estuary briefly to see if it’s an issue there would be useful to know.

I will just quote what I wrote above for your convenience.

@sam_nazarko I will try from Estuary, thanks.

So, when pressing on the setting “skip steps” the dialog for editing it opened and then you highlighted the skip steps you want to have available by pressing the middle button and disabled those you don’t want available the same way, pressed the OK button on the bottom of the dialog (closing the dialog this way) and still the behaviour of the skip steps hadn’t changed?

This should be the way it’s supposed to take effect.

No, I was simply trying to change the first backstep from 10 to 5 seconds.

Now I got it… Hm, that’s not available in the OSMC skin, correct. Is it though with Estuary?

The Kodi wiki states:

Skip steps - This allows you to set the number of skip steps and the value for each step, the default values available here are -30 min, -10 min, -5 min, -3 min, -60 sec, -30 sec, -10 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec, 3 min, 5 min, 10 min, 30 min.

So, 5 seconds is not a default value that one can choose. For that you have to consult paragraph 5.) here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Skip_steps (it’s only possible with the advancedsettings.xml file)

Hope, that helps!

2 Likes

It’s entirely possible that I set it through the xml file last time. It was a long time ago.

Do you know if it’s possible to map SmallStepBack to the left directional button but also retain standard skip steps back, mapped to the same button?

That’s not possible to assign two different programmatic functions in this manner.

The only way will probably be to add smaller steps via the advancedsettings.xml or leave it the way it is. But wouldn’t simply adding more steps solve your problem? Just a few more presses needed, but it’s more precise…