Fastest way to copy video files to USB connected on Vero 4k

No, you will see 10. 10 megaBYTES where the connection is 100 megaBITS.

My iperf3 outpout showed 10Mbits/sec, not megabytes

Opps, my bad I missed that. You are correct.

So Iā€™d still check the PC connection, it may be connecting at 10M.

OK. How can I verify my PCā€™s connectIon speed?

Do PowerLine adapters properly report link speed through to the host though?

www.speedtest.net will use an external source, but might give a good indicator.

So your powerline adapter is still in the equation and seems to be your problem. Just for testing purposes carry the Vero4K to your router and connect it directly instead of the powerline

1 Like

We want to know what speed his PC is connected.

1.0 Gbps

I think itā€™s become clear that the problem lies with your powerline adapters. If you want to improve speeds, youā€™ll need to do something in this area.

So, just to be clear, according to all of you, 1.5 MiB/s (Megabyte I guess) is clearly not fast enough to copy videos to my USB connected to the Vero 4K where the PC is connected through 1Gbps to the router?

Copying files will simply be slow (closer to 1.2 MBps). The overall data transmission speed will always be determined by the slowest link in the chain, which seems to be your powerline adapters.

Iā€™m surprised that nobody suggested unplugging the USB storage, taking it to the PC, connecting it there and copying all the files over directly?

If you have network issues and cannot (or will not) fix them, then skipping the network is the best solution.

I use powerline ethernet. Performance is very dependent on the local power lines inside the building and how they are connected across any breakers. In the same room, my 600 Mbps powerline adapters get about 220Mbps. On the same floor, they get about 100Mbps and on different floors, they get about 60Mbps. This blows away any wifi speeds here. Wifi is always bad here for unknown reasons and we donā€™t have many neighbors polluting the wifi channel spaces. If you watch wifi bandwidth in real-time (Iā€™ve done over 1200 wifi deployments for work), youā€™ll see that the throughput is constantly changing. Wired ethernet is stable, unless there are issues with equipment. When you connect 1 Gbps links, you can expect to see 920+Mbps results from iperf. Of course, real world file transfers have overhead and most spinning disks canā€™t handle GigE speeds anyways, so it really isnā€™t a concern.

SSDs get 100-200Mbps writes, usually. More expensive ones or the newer PCIe ones can get 650Mbps writes.

Spinning disks get 50-150Mbps writes, usually. This assumes SATA or eSATA connections.

USB2 connected disks usually only get 20Mbps. In theory, the interfaces can support 480Mbps, but Iā€™ve never seen that in the real world. Not once. Anywhere.

USB3 flash or SSDs are in the 75-150Mbps range. Spinning disks are more like SATA, but only if there isnā€™t much queuing.

If I were seeing only 1.2Mbps, Iā€™d assume faulty hardware somewhere in the chain.

Whenever troubleshooting issues like this, the rule is to simplify and test until you remove the problem. Keep removing parts of the connection until the simplification makes it fast, like you expect, but within reasonable performance for what you are trying to do. Expecting a USB2 disk to write at 150Mbps is crazy. 20Mbps is normal. Anything more, and you are lucky.

Iā€™ve been careful to only use Mbps units here. Most software transfers are reported in MB/s - which is a factor of 8 different.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone.

2 Likes

Did you get this resolved? I am getting the same result as you with 4k ( 1.20-1.3 MB/s as with my other media player I get 10 MB/s transfer rate (so I know itā€™s not faulty wiring), it does start with 50 MB/s for a sec, lol them settles with 1.2 MB/s, wireless/smb/Winscp seems the same

and no unplugging USB 2x a day/ then reconnecting running the wires around the tv stand wonā€™t work long term!

That sounds like the drive could be a bottleneck. The initial high speed is when itā€™s reading into RAM and caching, then it settles down to the lower speed once it runs out of RAM and starts writing everything to the drive.

You should probably do some of the same tests the original guy did: check the serverā€™s network speed, use iperf3 to eliminate a possible network issue. You could also try plugging the drive into a different device to see how it performs there, and try copying a file into the Veroā€™s internal flash memory to see what speed you get there.

How is the drive formatted, by the way? And is it connected directly to the Vero, or via a hub? And is it a hard drive, or an SSD/memory stick?

itā€™s not a network issue, HDD issue, hardware or software issue on my PC or network everything is fast with other DL/Uploads/media player or other devices etc except for vero (other devices 10-12 MB/s vs 1.2.-1.3 for vero, thinking since this issue here was not resolved, that it could just be the veroā€¦itā€™s under ram and under powered from a few months of experience but support is great.

Hopefully ā€œFab_Rizioā€ still using the vero and has found a work around be interesting to hear from him

only thing I havenā€™t done is do a cln install on my vero

The next step has to be copying a file to eMMC storage first and then from eMMC to USB.

You donā€™t know that it isnā€™t a problem with the Veroā€™s network performance. You havenā€™t measured that.

Among other possibilities, if the drive is formatted NTFS, that will slow it down significantly on the Vero compared with the way the same drive runs on a Windows box.

If it is neither a hardware nor a software issue, what else do you imagine it could be?

ā€œitā€™s not a network issueā€

actually I have on about 10 of my other devices, except the vero but I did finally found time to try to install iperf and it keeps failing ā€¦so I might have gotten a defective install, not the first time Iā€™ve gotten problems installing on the vero

ā€œhardware or software issueā€

I meant on my pc sideā€¦I am just so tired with the vero problems

ā€œAmong other possibilities, if the drive is formatted NTFS, that will slow it down significantly on the Vero compared with the way the same drive runs on a Windows box.ā€

canā€™t just go exfat 'cause of Vero

Ext4 would be better anyway.