Hauppauge DualHD not found on Vero4K

One more question:
When I reboot the vero, the USB tuner is not found. I need to manually insert the em28xx module and restart tvheadend to get it working again. I have looked around for udev rules, but found nothing for the old tuner IDs. Of course I can add the module to /etc/modules to force load it, but I was wondering if there is a better way. How are the USB tuners (and other devices) currently detected?

Never mind this question, just found I forgot to re-generate kernel module aliases with depmod.

Can you also put the diff here so I can get it in for 4.9?

Sam

You should be able to use paste.osmc.tv I think

Thanks a lot for that hint. The patch is here:
http://paste.osmc.tv/aqutisugiv.md

Cheers – that doesn’t quite apply to our 4.9.113 release. I’ll probably bump to latest 4.9 before getting this in.

Sam

I ported the patch to 4.9 branch and created a new pull request.
As much as I hate doing that, I have to admit it’s not even compile-tested - still looking into how to cross-compile 4.9 kernel for vero, and how to install it afterwards.

Do you mind if we pick this up in a couple of weeks when we make 4.9 available for testing (I’ll start a thread on this forum)?

Not at all :-). Thanks for everything.

1 Like

I’ve added this to 4.9 – a couple of hunks didn’t apply but I was able to resolve these issues, but unfortunately it doesn’t quite build.

drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c: In function ‘em28xx_init_dev’:
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c:3378:16: error: ‘struct em28xx’ has no member named ‘intf’
   dev_info(&dev->intf->dev,
                ^
./include/linux/device.h:1197:46: note: in definition of macro ‘dev_info’
 #define dev_info(dev, fmt, arg...) _dev_info(dev, fmt, ##arg)
                                              ^
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c:3381:16: error: ‘struct em28xx’ has no member named ‘intf’
   dev_info(&dev->intf->dev, "chip ID is %s\n", chip_name);
                ^
                                              ^
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c: In function ‘em28xx_duplicate_dev’:
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c:3448:17: error: ‘struct em28xx’ has no member named ‘intf’
    dev_warn(&dev->intf->dev, ": Supports only %i em28xx boards.\n",
                 ^
In file included from ./include/linux/i2c.h:30:0,
                 from drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c:30:
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c: In function ‘em28xx_usb_probe’:
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c:3820:17: error: ‘struct em28xx’ has no member named ‘intf’
    dev_info(&dev->intf->dev, "dvb ts2 set to %s mode.\n",
                 ^
                                              ^
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c: In function ‘em28xx_usb_disconnect’:
drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c:3891:16: error: ‘struct em28xx’ has no member named ‘intf’
   dev_info(&dev->intf->dev, "Disconnecting secondary device\n");

Will go back to it after initial 4.9 release.

Sam

Ahhh, bugger. Fixed, sorry for that. Also some more compilation issues with the NTSC variant. Now it builds for me, but it is still untested, sorry.

No problem. I’ve sent you a link to our latest 4.9 drop – currently in rebase hell…

Hello Kicker Tom,
just found your article yesterday. I’m sharing the same problem. I got an Dreambox DM920 with Linux 3.14 kernel. Everything you’ve discribed is quite the same to me. The only thing I don’t have is a another arm Linux device with higher kernel like your RPi3B+. So I come to my question: Is it possible you can send me your patched driver which worked for you or how you’ve done it to make it work. ( my knowledge about Linux is quite low as I’m just a user) Thank you in advance…

Hello,
yes, I can send you my kernel module in the evening, when I get back home. However, if you are not in a rush, I sent my changes to Sam for integration in next kernel version. So as soon as the 4.9 kernel is released (hopefully soon), everything should work out of the box again.

Thank you very much. I’m not on the run, so take you all time you need…

Here are the modules I am using:
https://www.transfernow.net/PUOUM2022020
No idea if the dreambox is the same architecture as vero4k+ or if the kernel is the same. I have the files in /lib/modules/3.14.29-156-osmc/kernel/drivers/backport - do a backup of the old files first, run depmod afterwards and load the module (or reboot).
If the architecture or kernel is different, you will need to rebuild them. That will be quite a bit more involved, and if you don’t have much experience with that, I would recommend waiting for official update or contacting your vendor. I can send you my patched sources, but I have no idea if and where you can find kernel for dreambox and how to build it…

Hello,
thank you for your sending. Unfortunately - that is my fault not to mention - your Vero4K+ is an AMLogic S905D Quad Core 1.6GHz 64-bit ARMv4 device and the DM920 is 32-bit armfh, so the driver doesn’t fit. No idea how to compile the source on the Dream. Nethertheless it was just a try and now I’ve to wait for a new kernel…
Thanks again

Unless DreamBox have provided you with kernel sources and a toolchain, you may be out of luck…

Then my binaries are of no use to you. Also, my note that a new kernel should come soon was related to vero, not your dream. I can send you patched sources, but you would need original kernel sources and toolchain. Your best bet would be to contact the dream manufacturer (after all, they are obligated to provide kernel sources by law for GPL licensed linux kernel, but after a quick search on https://dreambox.de, I haven’t found any link for download, best bet would be to write them), or alternatively look around the internet, I would guess someone already got the sources and started doing some hacking (e.g. I found
opendreambox · GitHub, which looks like it might be even the original firmware after all).

This is all very technical and that so this might sound a stupid question. Does this mean the tuner stick will work out of the box with the Vero 4k+ once it has the 4.9 kernel? Thanks.