HDR Slight flickering (Workaround available)

Nice detailed post, same as for me (with a denon x1300). Hooking the vero straight to TV doesnt change anything. I do believe however that you can see video specs in the signal info on the denon.

It may be something LG specific, or my Denon is messing with the signal on the way though - although Martorias’ post suggests that’s not the case. You could always try 2160p60hz422, you never know :confused:

Do you get the banding at 4:2:0 as well Martorias?

I’ll look into getting video specs on the Denon - could find anything last night but was getting tired.

Cheers,
Chris

I believe so, I’ll see if I can do some more testing tonight when the TV’s free.

Likewise :+1:

Maybe someone tried Kodi Leila and could say if banding problem occurs…

I did try Leia a couple of days ago, no difference for me so I reverted to 17.6. I will keep an eye on the Leia changelog in case some relevant changes are made.

Thx for answer

Just tried latest nightly build of Leia for Vero 4K and, in my untrained eyes, looks like flickering and banding are a lot less noticeable.

Last one I tried was 181, I’ll try 182 tonight if I get a chance :slight_smile:

I’ve addressed your concerns on the other thread you posted. I’ll follow up there with some on-going work as well, as this is a duplicated thread.

I just started to realise that too, I just discovered the other one :slight_smile:

Before I head over there, just wanted to update on my testing last night. Thanks to @Martorias I found the Denon’s signal info page so was able to figure out a little more what was going on.

The UBD-K8500 outputs 12-bit 4:4:4 at 24hz and is my benchmark. It might not be an Oppo but it’s the best I’ve got :slight_smile:

I realise now that in the original testing I detailed yesterday I wasn’t forcing the Vero 4k to output at 10bit , so it was defaulting to 8bit. So, 8-bit, 4:4:4 at 60hz is in spec and hence worked, albeit at 60Hz.

Trying 12bit, 4:4:4 at 24hz (recreating the same signal format that the K8500 is outputting according to the Denon) gets me back to the flicking / pulsing bright areas - same for 10bit. 10/12bit 4:4:4 at 60hz gets me nothing, which makes sense as it out of spec.

So I think I’ve gone as far as I can with this and it’s over to Sam and co to work on… and judging by the other thread there is hopefully some progress on the way :slight_smile:

If you havent tried it, echo 2160p60hz420 should work fine for 10bit hdr stuff (with 444,10bit or 12bit in the attr)

Can you please point me at the Denon’s signal info page. I have an X3300W and thought I’d checked everywhere and couldn’t find it

Thanks

-Mat

@mlavende Setup, general information, video information, hdmi signal

1 Like

Thanks - I’ve been wondering how I know I’ve added the 444 fix properly :slight_smile:

-Mat

Thanks - will try that tonight. I had previously tried it unsuccessfully (no hdmi output) but that was before realising I needed to set attr manually :slight_smile:

Just wanted to chime in here with info. There’s a test build thst seems to fix the flickering at low refresh rates but instead has some banding issues. Sam is working on it, looks really promising!

Is there any way for others to test those new test builds?

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.