High cpu usage after August 2017 update

That is odd, but when doing a fresh install I still get the same cpu usage in the main menu, from which we must assume the issue is really related only to Osmc distribution or on recent Kodi changes.

(Kodi 16 didn’t had these issues).

Oddly also the fact that osmc skin has less cpu usage than estuary when in sub menus.

I know you don’t support that kind of addon that’s because I didn’t mention in any way. The log file contains around 200K lines… Almost 3/4 of them is like this:

14:15:21.952 T:1668281328 DEBUG: Twitch: Using method cache for: |addon.api.Twitch.get_followed_streams| -> |39|
14:15:21.953 T:1668281328 DEBUG: Twitch: {
“_total”: 0,
“streams”:
}
14:15:21.954 T:1668281328 DEBUG: Twitch: Using method cache for: |addon.api.Twitch.get_followed_streams| -> |39|
14:15:21.955 T:1668281328 DEBUG: Twitch: {
“_total”: 0,
“streams”:
}
14:15:21.956 T:1668281328 DEBUG: Twitch: Using method cache for: |addon.api.Twitch.get_followed_streams| -> |39|
14:15:21.956 T:1668281328 DEBUG: Twitch: {

Can be this addon the one that is making this mess?.

I think this is something… Twitch addon is the only thing I’ve installed in the past few weeks (I can’t tell wich addons recently updated). Temps go to 70-80° but the thermometer sign is not always visible. This doesn’t explain how the people with clean installs are reproducing the issue.

A screenshot with twitch addon disabled.

I don’t have twitch installed and I’m experiencing a higher cpu usage :slight_smile:

Nah, it’s back again, twitch and the unsupported addon :wink: disabled.

Edit: curious thing, disabling twitch make kodi freezes and kodi.bin seems to crash

Come on, the topic is “High cpu usage after August 2017 update” (not temperature)

We have already seen there is nothing to do with add-ons, as the issue appear even after a fresh install.
Let’s try to understand what could it be that is “installed fresh”

1 Like

Anybody tested with the September Update yet? wondering if it is worth updating or better hold

The last few updates make the situation progressively worse (25% CPU > 45% CPU on idle while in the home screen)

The CPU figures look to be the same as for the August update, both for the Estuary and OSMC skins.

1 Like

I pointed out a potential culprit in Slack a few weeks ago. It might be a backported patch in Kodi’s Krypton branch causing the issue. Building without this change would be interesting.

1 Like

Hi there,
I had the same issue as stated here, CPU above 50% all the time, even ssh was not working properly on a RPI2.
I changed psu, cable, disabled addons… finally I changed “Service for weather information” to None (previously Yahoo) and CPU load is now 12%.
I hope this is not only my case and this is helpful to somebady else.
Thanks

Nope.
No change.
CPU stil at 40% when idle (after some minutes) in main menu. 6% in video sub.menu.

Note: CPU usage measured with “top” running in a ssh terminal windows.

Can you confirm that a fresh install doesn’t fix the problem? I’m considering it because my raspberry is going to explode with this temperatures…

Yes. I’ve made a fresh install in a new card.
No difference in cpu usage as I’ve reported 5 days ago in this same thread.

If your Pi is getting to dangerous temperatures (>85C) at only 40% CPU then you have it in the wrong kind of case. The Pi should be able to run at near full load with only passive cooling if there is sufficient air space around it.

Consider a better case, a heatsink or even a case with a fan.

I’ve got the raspberry pi since last year and this issue appear two weeks ago. I bought the pi 3 with the official case and the official power supply from element14 so I think thats not the problem, besides, here in Spain in summer we got 40° ambient without problem with Temps. This problem is caused because the cpu not only runs at 40% load, it’s because one of the cores (randomly) runs at 90-100%.

I’m considering buying a heatsink because this issue but I’m considering doing a fresh install of a old osmc release (may or June)

BTW, the only place I’m reaching reasonable temperatures is in the file explorer, after a few minutes the Temps (and obviously the cpu load) drops to 65°.

I have run a fresh install on a Pi 3, just like you, and can confirm that there is a problem with the OSMC skin’s main menu running at around 45% CPU. That’s without making any changes to the system at all. If you are seeing something running at 90-100% on one of the cores, then something extra is happening. You say that it is a “fresh install” but did you add anything to it, since a completely fresh install should run at “only” 45% CPU.

Please provide full logs using grab-logs -A so we can better understand why your system is so different.

1 Like

No, I have running this system from months, I say I will consider doing a clean install (I’m sorry, I don’t usually write/speak in English)

I can show you my logs, and this creep me out. Can you see the same??

https://paste.osmc.tv/noquvoxupe

You have your OSMC connected directly to the Internet or portforwarded?
The security of your system is totally broken. I suggest full clean reinstall (don’t backup anything).
And for your reinstall don’t expose your device to the internet and also don’t install so many addons which you don’t know what they do.

Your problem is clearly not related to the slight increase in CPU usage that we see since August.

What do you saw was someone trying to crack my ssh password by brute force? If that’s the case… I’m not happy with myself…

I already close the port and the raspberry still have high cpu usage.

When I got time (a lot) I’ll make a clean install and redo all the configuration…:sweat:

Looking into recent tests (including fresh installs), we already know that the high cpu usage (by the kodi.bin thread) in main menu is related to kodi / osmc skin internal implementation.
There is no dependency on add-ons or additional packages.

Quoting @sam_nazarko:

At this moment I think we should wait for osmc and/our kodi code maintainers to optimize the code to lower this high cpu usage.

Thank you all