How To Update TVHeadend Server?

I’m interested in updating to a newer version of tvheadend, but before I attempt the manual route, is there any plan to update the OSMC App Store version from 4.0.9?

If the answer is no, what is special about the OSMC version that I need to be aware of if manually installing from another source? Is it just that it sets up a username and password for access, or are there other customisations made by OSMC that I will lose if I uninstall and install from another source?

In short, the App Store version is:

• officially supported
  • kept up to date and stable (so you don’t need to recompile it or use a custom repository)

I’d be happy to bump it if it can get some proper testing. What version do you recommend updating to, and what advantages does it bring?

Cheers

Sam

Iam using this 4.1-1429~ge29df17~jessie from manually repo

i think main advantage is automatic network config, IPTV

i needed it for Telekom Entertain (Germany) so i have updated it summer 2016 by myself

so far no problems at all

I am sure we can update it, get some feedback and then make it available via the App Store.

Hi Sam, any plans to update TVHeadEnd server to 4.2? The biggest benefit of this version is that EPG support is better. I am currently running the stock 4.0.9 version and while I’ve got Live TV working from a HDHomerun and also figured out the PVR functionality to record shows, I can’t schedule recording because I’m yet to figure out the EPG setup :frowning:

Thanks

Yes – there are plans to update TVHeadend.

That’s great Sam. I’m willing to test it for you if needed. Do you have a ballpark timeframe?

Looks like tvheadend will be updated to 4.3 based on recent OSMC commits on GitHub.

I’m also happy to test in advance of release if it’s reasonably straightforward to do so.

@sam_nazarko:
Will it be possible to update tvheadend in the appstore to the new (stable) 4.2.6 version ?

I think this is already in staging

2 Likes

Latest transmission version is 2.93, and you’ll be able to update once it gets released with the next OSMC update.

Transmission ???
I was asking for tvheadend.
:wink:

Sorry, I was very tired yesterday :tired_face:

1 Like

I’ve updated it to 4.2.6 in staging.

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam

Those are Great news !
I’ve just updated.
Have some recordings schedule fo early morning and will do some testings during the day.

The major issues I had with version 4.2.4 were related to incomplete epg recordings - lets see what 4.2.6 brings.

Also noticed that dist-upgrade bring a new kernel - I hope it helps with sound stuttering (another tread, I know :wink: )

Just a quick update, to post here that tvheadend version 4.2.6 seems to be stable enough.

Hi nvdias

Did your channels restore correctly when you updated?

Just updated latest staging repo and all my channels are gone :frowning_face:

Hopefully i can restore from backup

All went just fine in my osmc.
Are your channels in the list ?
Does the muxer see them ?
Is the epg updated ?
Haven’t you changed anything else besides the update ?

All muxes and channels gone very strange.

Luckily i had a slightly outdated backup and restored the tvheadend channels.

Its a lesson for me anymore always to backup tvheadend before updating.

Do you know what has changed from version 4.2.4 and 4.2.6?

Can’t find a changelog

Edit: Also do you know what the setting Asynchronous EPG transfer does in the Tvheadend HTSP Client addon. Should i have it enabled?

Thanks

I didn’t have any issues with the update that I’m aware. Probably something with your configuration.

The only issues I had with tvheadend 4.2.4 were related to epg recordings - when a recording scheduled by epg is enabled, if during the reocrding I look into its properties, it stops recording without reporting any error .
additionally the timeshift function wasn’t working.

Now with 4.2.6 I didn’t noticed that, but I cannot be sure if this was something changed or just a coincidence.

About the kodi plug-in, I only configured the connection settings and didn’t touch anything more after having it working.

For EPG, I use a XMLTV tv_grab script of my own which downloads the EPG from a provided url. This scripts is configred in tvheadend as an internal grabber, scheduled to update daily.