[HowTo] Install a vnc server on the Raspberry pi

Thanks for your quick response!

So the “which” command didn’t give me any output and the second one gave me this:
https://paste.osmc.tv/onewuvecid

Ok, I never used the install script from @MarkusLange but I would assume it also installs into /usr/bin where you don’t have the server.
Did you actually run Install VNC Server and Service?

What I did was follow MakusLange’s steps above;

Grep the install file:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MarkusLange/VNC-Server-install-script-for-OSMC/master/osmc_vnc_install_cli.bash 183

Make it executable:
chmod +x osmc_vnc_install_cli.bash

Start the GUI with:
sudo ./osmc_vnc_install_cli.bash

Well then when in the GUI you need to run:

1. Install VNC Server and Service
  2. Either Activate VNC Service (Permanent) or Start VNC (manual every time you need it)

Yes that’s what I did indeed using the GUI. Sorry forgot to mention that :see_no_evil:

When I tried it again it even asked me to replace the existing files.

Ok, then there must be a problem with the script.
I checked the script and that step would sudo cp dispmanx_vncserver /usr/bin which means if all works you should have /usr/bin/dispmanx_vncserver which you don’t have.

What is ls -lah /etc/dispmanx_vncserver.conf giving you?

It gives me this:

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 200 Nov 17 13:59 /etc/dispmanx_vncserver.conf

Ok, means config generation worked.

Suggest to follow this steps manually 1 by 1 to see what fails (I assume one of the package names have changed)

sudo apt-get install build-essential rbp-userland-dev-osmc libvncserver-dev libconfig++-dev unzip
cd /home/osmc
sudo wget https://github.com/patrikolausson/dispmanx_vnc/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip -d  /home/osmc/
rm master.zip
cd dispmanx_vnc-master
make

sudo apt-get install build-essential rbp-userland-dev-osmc libvncserver-dev libconfig+±dev unzip
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

rm master.zip
rm: remove write-protected regular file ‘master.zip’?
Then I put Y, but no output.

After I did the last step “make” I got the following outuput:

Blockquote
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCH IQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/in clude/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c main.cpp -o main.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCH IQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/in clude/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c UFile.cpp -o UFile.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCH IQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/in clude/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c DMXResource.cpp -o DMXResource.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCH IQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/in clude/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c DMXDisplay.cpp -o DMXDisplay.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c DMXKeyboard.cpp -o DMXKeyboard.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c DMXMouse.cpp -o DMXMouse.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c DMXVNCServer.cpp -o DMXVNCServer.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c Logger.cpp -o Logger.o
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -o dispmanx_vncserver main.o UFile.o DMXResource.o DMXDisplay.o DMXKeyboard.o DMXMouse.o DMXVNCServer.o Logger.o -L/opt/vc/lib/ -lGLESv2 -lEGL -lopenmaxil -lbcm_host -lvcos -lvchiq_arm -lpthread -lrt -lvncserver -lconfig++

Ok, not all was clearly readable. But can you do ls -lah * | paste-log in that directory.

https://paste.osmc.tv/veyufijidi

Ok, looks good, now execute
sudo cp dispmanx_vncserver /usr/bin
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/dispmanx_vncserver
`

And post output of ls -lah /etc/systemd/system/dispmanx_vncserver.service | paste-log

The first two commands didn’t give me an output and I did not see a change of directory, but here is the log:

https://paste.osmc.tv/xewoteciha

Or should I have done this from my osmc home directory instead or staying in the dispmanx_vnc-master dir?

No it was Ok, there would have been an output

Ok, looks all good still not sure where the issue was before.
Now run sudo systemctl start dispmanx_vncserver.service

Then try to connect via VNC

1 Like

YOU ARE HERO!!! :grin:

Thank you so much for your patience and dedication

So if you want to have the VNC server run automatically after a reboot your would need to run

sudo systemctl enable dispmanx_vncserver.service
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
1 Like

done! Thanks again Fzinken

Hello,

thanks fzinken, I touched this script last 14 Months ago, if I followed you right, by hand all commands work, but not from the script? So this is the part I can’t follow I you. All you make looks like in the script. Has someone a hint for me?