[HowTo] Moonlight-Embedded (former Limelight) using Luna Launcher

Its seems that i cannot get your key from the server.

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 4A1C897B
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --homedir /tmp/tmp.cH6mKGjRHi --no-auto-check-trustdb --trust-model always --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-jessie-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-jessie-security-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-jessie-stable.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-squeeze-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-squeeze-stable.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-wheezy-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/debian-archive-wheezy-stable.gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 4A1C897B
gpg: requesting key 4A1C897B from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

Nor can i find it here http://keys.gnupg.net/#extract

Am i doing something wrong?

Hmm, maybe it expired. Not sure. You can download the package manually and install it that way. I’m not sure if I’ll keep the repo after the next update, so I won’t fix it for now. Sorry.

Thanks for replying. Ill try it.

Thanks @dodslaser that makes sense. I haven’t installed moonlight-embedded - I thought I could just follow through the instructions as-is. I’ll add irtimmers repo to the sources.list and give it another go :smile:

@dodslaser How do I properly specify the input device (Xbox 360 Wireless Controller) from the Addon settings? I can’t find any info relating to that. When I get Stream Big Picture mode up, it seems to be responding to the Xbox 360 controller as if it were a mouse (I set it up using the instructions at the top of the thread) :-s I’m guessing ticking “Enable Controller” and setting correctly the Input Device and Input Map will solve this? Btw - where is the configuration file the addon generates stored? Just one more step and I’m almost there!

Btw I’ve successfully set up Moonlight and the addon to launch it. It pairs and the streaming works so I want to give a HUGE thanks to everyone, esp the main contributors who made that happen. All the work and time gone into this really is appreciated.

@diagonali Input is probably broken. I’m just finishing up a version that has most of the input stuff working to working-ish. Moonlight doesn’t seem to want to launch when I actually specify the input device, but launching with only the map specified seems to be okay for single controller input.

The input lag I mentioned was the Rpi1 crapping out when launching with 1080@30fps and controller input. 720@30fps and controller is working fine though. Rendering at 1080 and downscaling to 720 still looks fine to me. We might gain some performance as moonlight-embedded evolves and when we build it against OSMC.

Anyway, I’ll put this release up and then do some more testing on a clean install of OSMC, probably sometime this week.

Sounds promising. Look forward to the update.

As a side note, I had a noticeable improvement in performance by using the following settings on he Pi1 when I set Moonlight up using Raspbian previously. I assume these settings can be applied to OSMC and should help:

force_turbo=1
h264_freq=333

Found that from here: https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-embedded/issues/81#issuecomment-90366446

They gave surprisingly good results

Although I can’t remember at the moment where I add(ed) those values(!) settings.xml I think… but maybe not.

In the meantime I’m going to keep tinkering to try and get the controller working. I’ll revert anything when updates are ready. Thanks!

New releases are up on GH now!
moonlight-osmc 0.3.3 alpha
script.moonlight-osmc 0.3.3 alpha

1 Like

I’ve beeen trying to install Moonlight the last days without succsses…
Is there any complete guide anywhere?
And i just saw that you have released two new files, how do i install those?

Regards, Makkan.

The READMEs are a good start, but II know they’re far from complete. I’ve been focusing on getting the code working.

Irtimmer has instructions for installing moonlight-embedded on the wiki in his gh repo. That’s step one.

Step two is a bit different since todays update. Download rbp-moonlight-osmc_0.3.3_all.deb and install it using dpkg.

sudo dpkg -i rbp-moonlight-osmc_0.3.3_all.deb

Now, download script.moonlight-osmc-0.3.3~alpha.zip and install it (install from zip in the add-on menu in settings).

After that it should just be a matter of configuring the add-on, and launching.

I have been reading like 4 diffrent guides, and tried all of them but i always end up in diffrent errors. And they are often about this dependencies stuff.
And between the diffrent tries i have reinstalled OSMC.

Got it all running now!
I have one question, I hate the xbox controller but it works. How can i get my third party PS3 controller to work? :smile:

@Toast is working on adding support for more controllers. Sometimes you need to use external kernel drivers for it to work. It should be fairly similar to getting it to work on any other debian-based distro.

I can move around in steam menu, up down left right with joystick but the other buttons dont work.

Oh, then you probably just need to map the input.

How do i do that?

• Input map is pointing at the dualshock4.conf and what should i put at input device?

I’m having the same problem. Looking through the instructions throughout this thread, trying to piece it together and having varied success but getting stuck on things that are implied but due to my lack of knowledge, proving difficult to figure out.

I just did a fresh re-install of OSMC, Installed moonlight-embedded as instructed and then installed the new moonlight-osmc package and then the addon. From what was mentioned I assumed my Xbox controller support would now be set up automatically by either the new moonlight-osmc package or the addon. This doesn’t seem to be the case. My Xbox 360 controller has all three lights flashing when I turn it indicating it’s not set up as it needs to be.

I’d be very happy to (and have thought of) put together a step-by-step n00b guide to setting this up at some point if that would help anyone but I’m still not clear on a couple of things now:

• Does this new moonlight-osmc alpha attempt to automatically setup the necessary files to allow an xbox 360 controller (or others) to work? Is setting up xboxdrv to run at boot still needed?

• Using the Addon: What specifically should we be pointing to using the UI for the “Input Device” field? When i select that field, I get the standard UI for browsing local folders/shares. What (conf file?) do I choose or what do I need to set up separately and specify here?

Back when I was doing all this manually on a Raspbian installation, I had to enter the following type of command from putty which got me surprisingly good results:

moonlight stream -mapping xbox.map -1080 -60fps -bitrate 30000 -packetsize 1400 -localaudio 192.168.0.90

@dodslaser Please would you consider adding an option to manually enter a stream string like the one above from within the Addon settings?

Did you create the input map yourself? If not, try creating one:

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
moonlight map dualshock.map

The device can be any input device. It’s a placeholder until I fix multiple inputs.

I’m getting this error:
Failed to stop media.service: Unit media.service not loaded.
Failed to stop center.service: Unit center.service not loaded.

And cuz of that, the controller dont react when i try to map the controller?

/dev/input/event3, looks correct?

@Makkan Ah, typo. I’m typing on my phone. media center should be mediacenter as in

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter 

That device looks correct. If you want to test the input you could try evtest. You might have to install it via apt.

@diagonali The moonlight-osmc package doesn’t provide drivers for controllers yet, no. @Toast is working on that. The latest alpha just adds a way to manually specify an input device and map.

As for the input device in the configuration it actually doesn’t do anything right now. You still need to point it towards any input device though. Those are found in /dev/input/. They’re usually called eventX.

As for getting the 360 controller to work I’m not really sure. The standard xpad driver should do it, but maybe you’ve had more luck with xboxdrv? AFAIK xboxdrv isn’t actively developed, so Xbox one controllers work better on xpad.