[HowTo] Scripts for using Xbox Controller in RetrOSMC

So after a waaay too long break I wanted to give this another go with a single wireless 360 controller. To prevent any old stuff getting in the way, I started with a fresh installation of the 2016.07-1 image (Raspi 2). Installed the updates, changed as little as possible (disabled CEC and HDMI audio due to CRT TV, switched to classic Kodi skin) and rebooted. SSH’d into the RPi and went through steps 1 to 4 word by word, command by command from Yggdrasil’s initial post, as I first wanted to get the wireless 360 controller working reliably in OSMC before even trying out retrosmc.

Result: It’s still a mess. And the infuriating thing is that I can’t tell what going wrong when. Sometimes the LED keeps flashing, sometimes it stays in position 1 as it is supposed to, sometimes no button or dpad works at all, sometimes they work if I press the dpad as soon as the home screen shows up after a reboot, sometimes I have to let it sit for a few seconds after reboot and then press the dpad. Same for reconnecting the controller once it goes into standby: half of the time it works flawlessly, I can take out the battery, put it back in and let it reconnect as often as I want; the other times it’s dead after disconnecting once.

I’ve played around with different values for sleep in /home/osmc/start.sh and /etc/rc.local.
I’ve blacklisted xpad in /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf.
I’ve changed device-name = "Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller" to device-name = "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (PC)" in /home/osmc/xbmc.ini in step 2.
I’ve even tried different options from the xboxdrv manual like --type xbox360-wireless and --daemon.

No avail. And I hadn’t even touched steps 5 and 6!

sudo xboxdrv just says its old Error couldn't claim the USB interface: LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY, no matter if the controller is working right now or not.

Is this due to a change in the kernel that came with the April update?

Is it any use trying to figure out why it doesn’t work, or should one just wait until OSMC incorporates RetroPlayer with v18?