Kernel modules missing for the PCTV 292e DVB stick

No – Debian Jessie is buggy on aarch64 and doesn’t have several fixes for CPU errata. We discovered this in February 2017. We would also have problems with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video (support will come soon) if we moved to aarch64. There seems to be no performance gain from aarch64.

Yes – we are well aware that the issue is caused by 64-bit -> 32-bit pointer dereferencing and we have already fixed a couple of these issues in the kernel, but we are not quite there yet it seems.

The solution however is not to use an aarch64 version of TVHeadend.

Ah, too bad. Really looked promising this time…

Final one for tonight: I fixed the apparent regression (reconnects each 5 sec) by removing the existing TVH config and setting it up from scratch. Never mind.

Cheers

Cheers, will let other users know about this if they get it too

Nah, forget it. It reappeared with 4.2.2 after the next reboot. Downgraded to 4.0.9 again, finally no more reconnect issues…

Hi @sam_nazarko,

Just deployed the July update. I presume there aren’t any DVB adapter fixes this time (according to the news)?

Cheers

Hi @brevilo

Actually, we’ve now managed to get TVHeadend working on Vero 4K. See this link. Make sure you use the TVHeadend build suggested in that post for now.

No announcement of this is published as we want to get a bit more testing first and make sure everything is working as expected.

I’m sorry to say but it doesn’t work for me. Still the same ioctl error:

linuxdvb: Silicon Labs Si2168 #0 : DVB-T #0 - DTV_CLEAR failed [e=Inappropriate ioctl for device]

FYI, I purged the version that came with the latest July update and set up Tvheadend from scratch after installing the Dropbox package. Please note that the custom Tvheadend package has the same version number (4.2.0-2) as the one in the July update.

Darn :tired_face:

A full log will help.

At this point it might be an issue with the stick specifically, as we have had a few confirmations of positive reports after the test build.

Sure, which ones (from the log uploader) do you need? Also, where do the logs get stored when using “Copy to SD card”?

In /boot, the FAT32 partition.

Yep, found it already.

There you go: https://paste.osmc.tv/utefiyakor (kodi.log omitted as it’s entirely unrelated)

I don’t see any additional hints though…

Thanks

At this point it might be an issue with the stick specifically

Here you mention a “final ioctl issue”. Is that one still pending?

Cheers

If you’re running the test TVHeadend build, then it’s been fixed. If there was still an issue with ioctl() then I don’t think anyone would be able to successfully run a tuner at all.

It might be a tuner specific issue here. Just to confirm: you are running the TVHeadend build from Dropbox?

Sam

Yes, but other than the (standard) procedure described above I’ve no way to prove it as the version number is the same as for the official build that’s part of the July update.

We’ll see what Olli in the neighboring thread (and his more or less identical device) reports back.

There will be a new, bumped version soon.
But OK: sounds like it may be tuner related unfortunately. I will see if anything can be done; we’re currently using 4.4 modules.

Yep, unfortunate it is indeed as it works just fine on the RPi’s 4.4 kernel and it’s one of the most ubiquitous devices (its components, not the actual brand), as was its predecessor.

Is there a way I can get hold of one of these? Where could I buy one on Amazon UK (concerned about underlying chipset)

We’re planning to launch our own DVB-T2 dongle (which is working well on Vero 4K); but I’d like to see support for as many devices as possible.

Sam

There you go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004C1176E