Leia Update, Now most 4K movies are buffering/unwatchable

Well that is 100Mbit values and should also allow 4k playback if using fstab mounts.
But question would be why it’s not going to gigabit.

Check your switches and cables. If all good install ethtool sudo apt-get install ethtool and run it on eth0

everything looks good at initial glance. I actually forgot I added a small 8 port workgroup switch at my vero’s location (answered that vero was direct into the backbone the other day when Sam asked). I also did a iperf3 with this switch removed with the same mbit result.

Installed ethtool.

osmc@LRMC:~$ ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
	Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                        1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
	                                     1000baseT/Full 
	Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
	Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Speed: 1000Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Port: MII
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: external
	Auto-negotiation: on
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
	Current message level: 0x0000003d (61)
			       drv link timer ifdown ifup
	Link detected: yes

Anything in there look strange? Could an ethernet run that is too long be the cause of this?? I say that because tomorrow I may move the server directly into the main equipment room (bypassing the in wall cable) and see what I get. Now that I think about it, I had moved the main server from my bedroom to the loft ages ago (when I got a RPi with osmc running in the main bedroom), but may not have watched any 4K content since the server move. This location is literally as far from the wiring closet as I can get.

Anyway off to bed for tonight, thanks for the continued help.

That looks normal and negotiation to 1 Gig but as you only get 100 Mbit there most be a limiting piece somewhere on the way to the server. Suggest to connect your notebook (if you have GigE interface to the same switch to first test between Vero and Notebook.

good idea. However, retina MBP = no eth port FML. I have an older MBP though, Ill charge it up tonight and give it a whirl tomorrow. Thanks

okay, had a chance to do some testing. There is a problem with my main cable run to my living room, strange because I never had issues here before. I verified by plugging the vero directly into the backbone switch as suggested w/ a laptop and viola, gigabit speeds. Through various testing, I was able to isolate a bad port/cable/jack (not sure which yet).

However, this has not solved the issue. I plugged the Vero4k+ into the verified gigabit operating port and still am experiencing the stuttering issues, despite having gigabit speed shown by iperf.

Now I am thinking there might be something physically wrong with the Raid 5 array my media database is sitting on. I am not showing any drive failures or issues with it though via the management interface/tools. I am in the process of moving one of the troublesome files off the array and onto the SATA storage drives for the server. Hopefully, this will help me isolate the issue or rule out issue w/ the RAID array. I’ll report back.

Any other suggestions as to where to investigate now?

PS: @sam_nazarko I also downgraded osmc (12.18 build) to completely rule out the update causing issue. I am still having difficulty, so we can consider this closed from an OSMC debug standpoint. Still appreciate the communities help troubleshooting though, as I am pretty stumped ATM.

If you want to test the actual throughput of a file transfer from the nas you could use dd. You would need to drives mounted via fstab or autofs to try this.

Run this command on the Vero:

dd if=/path/to/a/file of=/dev/null status=progress

Ill give that a shot, too. I am currently not mounting, just adding as a network location.

However, I got the movie transferred from the RAID array to SATA storage on the server. It appears that when the Vero is plugged into the gigabit functioning port, and coming off of the SATA drive, I do not experience stuttering. I did experience stuttering though when only connected to the megabit port. (this movie is like 70gb, though so that might make sense?).

I guess the next step would be to compare the thoroughput of the file using dd on the array v. sata drive.

Does the NAS have dd installed? If it is you could run the test on the NAS and see if there is a difference between the RAID and the SATA drive. That would completely rule out any network issues.

Sorry, its not a NAS, its a physical windows 7 pro box. RAID 5 array connected via ESATA.

Also, figured out the network speed issue. Turns out to be a bad physical port on my patch panel… FML, literally the last thing I tested lol.

For a more reliable setup suggest to use fstab or autofs mounts

Will do. No problem switching it up. Do you recommend toggling the option to “wait for network” when booting to ensure these mounts complete successfully before arriving in the kodi ui?

OMG, i think it may be fixed. It might have been the network afterall. which was weird because I tested this movie when I was confirmed getting gigabit speed and was still having issues (i didnt reboot though ;/). Anyway, now that I have identified the root cause of the network speed degradation, I rebooted the Vero a few times and appear to be running 100% okay. Im going to let this rock for a bit, test with some other problematic movies and I’ll confirm back with you guys.

1 Like

Yes definitely would recommend that.

Good to hear.
Still might want to think about autofs mounting on the long run.

yep, ill give it a shot. Going to update to the latest build once the movie finishes. Test again, then move over to fstab/autofs.

I had always used fstab, since I use the addon autolibraryupdate to ensure my library refreshes as things are automagically added. I understood that fstab was an early boot and always on mount, where autofs is mounted on demand.

Is there any reason to use autofs instead of fstab as I use for mounting music dirs on my RPi osmc instances?

autofs seems to be a bit more reliable for network server reconnects

Thanks everyone for all the help. Confirmed that all issues are resolved and my Vero is back to peak performance on the latest update :slight_smile: