MMAL Skipped frame or judder every few seconds

@kartana if you want to wake up people put an @ in front of their name @Jdiesel

1 Like

Ah, thanks @fzinken! Wake up @Jdiesel, we miss you! :smile_cat:

I turned off lirc_rpi and watched a 30min clip today and I didnā€™t notice any stuttering, not 100% sure either but it looks promising.

Sorry Iā€™m away from home and wonā€™t be able to test until later today.

I can confirm that disabling the lirc_rpi module not only significantly improved the studder issue I was having with MMAL playback but also improved remote control responsiveness with my RC6 IR reciever.

this also worked for me!!

1 Like

Good find.

cat /proc/interupts doesnā€™t show me any IRQs when I havenā€™t got a GPIO receiver attached to the board ,but popcornmix suggests the driver may still be doing something on the transmit side.

Iā€™ll disable this by default in future updates.

Sam

Thanks @kartana

I still notice the odd shudder every so often but rather then every 5 seconds it is now every 5 minutes. I can definitely live with that.

Yeah @Jdiesel there seems to be slight stutter every few minutes for me too. No clue why. Might be the video file but I have no idea how to check the time stamps (that might cause stutter if they arenā€™t correct). But it seems to happen on most if not all my files so I think thatā€™s not it. Removing the lirc_rpi module did improve things significantly though.

Can we not mark this as resolved. The big issue was the module but I mean I have this slight stutter every few minutes while using MMAL since using a RPi2. Regardless of adjust refresh and sync options, LAN or USB. Itā€™s always there. There is nothing on CodecInfo that would suggest any frame drops etc. Iā€™ve read a lot of threads on this issue and @popcornmix most of the time suggests using OMXPayer instead of MMAL but is this really a solution? I find the quality from OMXPlayer worse. The stutter is gone when I switch to it though. What is causing this?

Edit: have you tried using OMXPlayer @Jdiesel?

Ok,

Iā€™m having similar issue but noticeable only on live TV streams.

I have to disable MMAL acceleration in order to get smooth playback. When MMAL is enabled it stutters every 2-3 seconds.

Tried playing various movies from NFS and they are fine with MMAL enabled.

Any ideas?

The stutter returned yesterday without changing anything. At first I thought it was the file but I put the SD card with OE in and it played fine. Both use the same addons (just a skin) and settings. I have no clue why OSMC doesnā€™t run properly on my RPi2. Iā€™m out of ideas.

Are you running an OE Jarvis build, or an Isengard oneā€¦? Itā€™s possible there have been some changes which are impacting performance.

OE build is Isengard.
Iā€™ll test OSMC Isengard as well as a OE Jarvis beta build in the next days and report back. This is driving me nuts, but other people donā€™t seem to have the problem (after finding the lirc_rpi problem) so not sure what to thinkā€¦

Hello,

iā€™m new here. After thinking getting crazy i stumbled upon this thread. Iā€™m running a clean install of osmc with latest updates on my raspberry pi 3. All movies and the .kodi folder are mapped via nfs. With this setup i also get this stuttering without finding a combination of settings to avoid it. Iā€™m out of ideas. This happens with 23ā€¦fps, 25 fps and 50 fps videos on 23ā€¦ Hz, 25 Hz, 50 Hz and 60Hz TV. And also only with mmal enabled. None of the audio and video settings (and combination of them) beside of enabling omxplayer seems to have any effect.
Iā€™ll keep on reading this thread. If i can provide any infos to help to solve the problem, please ask.

Thank you,
Tom

ps. i already disabled the lirc module in config.txt
ps2. stutters appear aprox. every 20 seconds
ps3. i was very brave and tested the dev. version from the @gmc repo (rbp2-mediacenter-osmc 16.8-043). exactly the same.
ps4. removed all ā€œmy osmcā€ related stuff, no change.

@tomnat
I assume you are running with ā€œadjust display refresh rate to match videoā€ and ā€œsync playback to displayā€ (they are both recommended).

Any peripherals (e.g. USB) attached?
Do you get this with a clean install, with no add-ons or custom settings? (Add the two settings mentioned above and disable lirc module)

Do you have the issue with openelec? That may narrow it down to being a kodi issue or a kernel/distribution issue.

Thank you. It happens also with the settings mentioned. There is only a osmc remote connected via usb. There are no additional addons installed.

I havent tried openelec yet. Iā€™ll give it a try.

Thank you,
Tom

For completeness could you unplug then when playing? (or use a standard USB keyboard instead).

Genius! Its the remote!!! I have now testet multiple times with and without the rf usb dongle. Every time the usb dongle was connected, the stutter was present.

Iā€™m now happy to know the reason and sad, thats the remote.

Thank you!
Tom

The remote dongle shouldnā€™t be problematic. I have used it with MMAL testing and havenā€™t experienced issues.

I had a customer recently purchase a remote and report similar symptoms, but after removing the lirc_rpi entry from config.txt, he has reported that the issue is resolved.

I will do some more investigating and also send one to @popcornmix. Iā€™ll keep you posted.

Sam