Mounting network shares with autofs (alternative to fstab)

Set the SMB version too, it helped for me. Considering the share is made with SMB version 3:

• on RPI with OSMC “-fstype=cifs,rw,vers=3.11”
  • on Vero4K+ last update “-fstype=cifs,rw,vers=3.0”
    (3.11 is not working on vero4k, SMB client version I guess)

You can try the debug way too, it’s described in the wiki if I’m not wrong. You need 2 ssh sessions, the first starting “sudo automount -f -v -d” and the second to restart the systemD unit (autofs) or simply touching the share

1 Like

Thanks, but doesn’t work. Tried NFS as well. Must be something I’m missing w/my QNAP. Using direct NFS adding share instead via Vero.

So, you haven’t tried the troubleshooting step " Testing the config:" in the article I mentioned above?

I did, thanks. Think I got it to work w/NFS:

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -lah /mnt/192.168.68.3
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Dec 30 15:17 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K Dec 30 10:53 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    0 Jan  3 12:04 4Kmovies

This seems unclear to me. Perhaps just state that if putting the credentials inline with a space then it must be quoted to encapsulate the space…
/mnt/<server1>/<share1> -fstype=cifs,rw,username="First Second",password=<password>,iocharset=utf8,uid=osmc,gid=osmc ://<IP of server1>/<share1>

And if using a credentials file then just use the space with no accommodation.

username=First Second
password=<password>

Either way escape characters do not work in these files either by using a "\ " or "\040".

It may also be helpful to mention that the credentials in a credentials file are read from the “=” to <LF> so any trailing spaces or <CR> will break things.

2 Likes

Please feel free to correct it

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for this great guide! I think you should update it with vers=3.1.1 to be compatible with DSM Synology smb shares or at least mention it.

Can you elaborate here a bit. I remember someone posting something a while back about wanting something greater than SMB v3.0 but they found that one version worked but not another, or maybe one needed a newer OSMC version or something. Does using SMB v3.1.1 work in current stable with both Synology and Windows?

Sure, this i my setup.
I’m running the latest OSMC at a RP3.
The NAS is a old Synology running DSM 6.2.4.

First I configured the shares (/etc/auto.smb.shares) whitout any “vers” parameter. Then it mounted the shares using smb1. Then I tried vers=3 and it did not work at all.
Then after some reading I tried vers=3.1.1 and it worked.

You tried vers=3 and not vers=3.0 as stated in the guide?

oops sorry, if it says 3.0 in the guide that is what I used.

I’ve done this but the issue you had may not exist anymore with the newest updates. At least if I understand what I’ve read in this thread correctly…

Every time I reimage a box, I install autofs then copy /etc/auto* from a backup of the old image. Today I took the trouble to diff the installed conf files (version 5.1.7-1) with my 3-4 year old conf files and it seems the preferred way of writing them has changed. Does this guide need updating? here’s a diff of auto.master - I don’t know what’s meant by a map.

osmc@osmc:~/autofs$ diff -u auto.master /etc/auto.master
--- auto.master 2023-04-19 09:00:34.156239567 +0000
+++ /etc/auto.master    2021-02-04 12:36:20.000000000 +0000
@@ -13,10 +13,20 @@
 #/net  -hosts
 #
 # Include /etc/auto.master.d/*.autofs
-# The included files must conform to the format of this file.
+# To add an extra map using this mechanism you will need to add
+# two configuration items - one /etc/auto.master.d/extra.autofs file
+# (using the same line format as the auto.master file)
+# and a separate mount map (e.g. /etc/auto.extra or an auto.extra NIS map)
+# that is referred to by the extra.autofs file.
 #
 +dir:/etc/auto.master.d
 #
+# If you have fedfs set up and the related binaries, either
+# built as part of autofs or installed from another package,
+# uncomment this line to use the fedfs program map to access
+# your fedfs mounts.
+#/nfs4  /usr/sbin/fedfs-map-nfs4 nobind
+#
 # Include central master map if it can be found using
 # nsswitch sources.
 #
@@ -26,6 +36,3 @@
 # precedence.
 #
 +auto.master
-/- /etc/auto.nfs.shares --timeout 30 browse
-/- /etc/auto.smb.shares --timeout 30 browse
-

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/focal/en/man5/auto.master.5.html]:
... To avoid making edits to /etc/auto.master, /etc/auto.master.d may be used. Files in that directory must have a ".autofs" suffix, e.g. /etc/auto.master.d/extra.autofs. Such files contain lines ....

Sounds to me like you can do it that way but don’t have to do it