NFS Issue with New Router

So did you try with cable yet? :wink:

2 Likes

Ha ha ha, negative. I haven’t even had the chance yet to see how Kodi is responding now this is in fstab. Actual work is getting in the way…

It tells you that there is nothing wrong with your server or your OSMC box’s ability to mount and process NFS.

It tells me that @dillthedog is probably correct and that your router has a problem forwarding UPnP packets between wired and wireless networks. You can confirm that by connecting server and client to the same side (wired OR wireless but not a mixture).

If they work on the same network then you will need to raise the issue with TP-Link unless there is some odd setting that you can change.

1 Like

Finally had time to test via wifi on the pi. I was able to, via kodi, browse for NFS locations, find my server, enter my videos share and set it up as a source. It seems there’s a disconnect with using kodi for NFS browsing provided I could view all NFS exports via OSMC cli and mount without an issue (once I had the correct command in fstab).

If you like only test the NFS shares on the terminal you must not edit /etc/fstab
For temporary test you can execute on of the following command.

First create the target mount point:

mkdir /mnt/videos

mount the nfs-share to the target mount point:
mount "192.168.1.7:/e/my\ videos" /mnt/videos

or mount with:
mount.nfs4 "192.168.1.7:/e/my\ videos" /mnt/videos

if it works all correct then you can create a new line in /etc/fstab:
for example:

nfsservername:/media/massstorage/NFSpublic /media/NFSpublic nfs4 rw,nosuid 0 0

But for Kodi you need not make manual edit the /etc/fstab it´s all done in the Kodi GUI.

1 Like

@Mingo_Bongo Thanks for the command sets. While I agree that editing fstab shouldn’t be needed, it was only after I edited fstab for all 4 Pi’s, that I was able to successfully browse for the NFS share and mount as a source in Kodi. Without the fstab entries, no NFS share was found and the Pi would “hang” when searching for NFS shares. This only started after replacing my router.

So you’ve mounted them in fstab but are still browsing for NFS when adding to Kodi? This negates all the benefit of adding them in fstab. You should be adding the local mount point created in fstab as the Kodi source.

@ActionA oh yeah? Wasn’t sure how that worked between the GUI and CLI. I’ll see what options are available in Kodi for sources, to avoid the usage of NFS browsing. Thanks for the tip.

From what I’m seeing above, you should just be able to edit the source location and point to Root Filesystem>mnt>temp.

1 Like

It seems you have proved that your router does not support UPnP traffic beibg passed between the wired and wireless interfaces and so you have 2 choices:

1. Raise this with TP-Link and keep your current config if they can issue working firmware for the router.

2. Switch all NFS sources to mounts in /etc/fstab. You will need to create a directory in /mnt for each share and add a line in /etc/fstab for each share.

I’d suggest for future ease of troubleshooting you name them something more relevant than /mnt/temp. You will also need to update your sources.xml file for kodi and if you use the library in kodi you will need to either re-add everything or look into path substitution.

Lastly you may want to change the options on that fstab line I quoted to something more suitable for streaming. There are a number of threads here that cover NFS optimisation.

1 Like