NFS not being seen

@Guy
I think everyone is a bit offtrack here. If I understand correctly, you want to have a MySQL database and your files on the Vero shared to your other system.

If I’m correct, then you don’t need to do anything other than add the shares to your fstab on the ‘slave’ system. Something like:

kaled.local:/media/tardis /media/tardis nfs rw,user,auto,nofail

Just make sure that where you are mounting on the ‘slave’ is the same place you have it mounted in the master. The database stores the paths, so they have to match on all systems.

@yknivag I could try that, but even manually doing the systemctl restart command still yields the “RPC: program not registered” problem.

EDIT: Tried the init.d edit. No change in RPC error when using showmount -e

@bmillham You have my need pegged correctly. The problem is that the share does not appear to be visible to the slave system. In fact, I can’t even see it on the master system (showmount -e is failing).

EDIT: Tried it anyway. Still getting “mount.nfs: Connection timed out”.
Just for clarification it also pings fine.

osmc@Pi3:/mnt/hdd/Media$ ping -c5 192.168.1.60
PING 192.168.1.60 (192.168.1.60): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.60: seq=0 ttl=64 time=9.719 ms

@sam_nazarko Saw this line in the logs:

nfs-kernel-server[773]: Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel. 

Could that cause this kind of issue?

That’s weird. Is this on the Pi or Vero?

Sam

@sam_nazarko This is on the V4K.

I’m confused. I thought you were trying to share the drive from the Pi to the Vero 4K. You shouldn’t have nfs kernel server on the Vero 4K, it should be on the PI 3

Sam

Other way around. The V4K has the external HD attached. I’m trying to share those files (and the MySQL Library) to the PI 3.

My apologies if I did not make this clear.

Oh okay, that makes more sense. I just need to enable support for NFS in the kernel config I suspect. I’ll check this for you shortly.

Sam

1 Like

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv jessie-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

@sam_nazarko Looks like you have found and fixed the issue! (kind of surprised I’m the first to report it).

Out of curiosity, when access a global file share is it best practice to “mount” an nfs source and then use the mounted directory or just add the NFS path to your library?

Thanks again for your help!

Use fstab to mount. Works much better that way.

1 Like

To expand on this more…

Using fstab gives you flexibility in your setup. Say your files are on SystemA, and you have ClientB.

On SystemA, make sure that the media drive is mounted to, for example

/media/MyFiles

On ClientB, mount to the same place, /media/MyFiles

Now you want to move the files from SystemA to clientB. All you need to do is modify fstab and exports.

No need to worry about changing the MySQL database, since the files all appear in the same place.

The number of people that use an NFS server is quite low, particularly as it’s not part of the App Store.

fstab is the best solution as it has readahead (kernel). It’s also useful if you want to use the mount outside of Kodi, e.g. for downloading, sharing other files.

@bmillham Yeah, I realized it as I was performing the fstab (per your recommendation). At first it seemed like a redundant step, but then I realized it is more like a symbolic link (…osmc is making this windows guy learn a lot about linux) which allows for significant future proofing.

@sam_nazarko Is there a reason its not part of the App Store? All the best practice stuff I read indicated that it had the best performance when dealing with network files (which is why I took the plunge).

Because the configuration is very manual for now.

P.S. I’m glad this is now resolved.

Your next step in this learning process is to replace Windows with Linux Mint (my favorite) :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.