Open vpn / PIA slower on Vero4k + than older Chromebox

A kernel module for this makes some sense.
It doesn’t for things like Dropbox.

Sam

From a performance perspective, yes. From a security perspective, less so. As always, it’s a question of balance.

Happy new year everyone! The latest Vero firmware updates have fixed some issues such as Ethernet connection stability which is great, so thanks for that.

Will there be any chance of an update in the future to speed up a VPN client? Using OpenVPN makes my connection 90% slower at the moment. If it’s unlikely, I might look towards getting a suitable router that supports DD-WRT and using that to setup a VPN, but would onviously rather wait for a client VPN solution on the Vero. Many thanks.

I also use PIA on my 4K+ , standard skin but I use zomboided as the openvpn manager. Looking at my current screen I am getting 64mb download on my 70mb line. This is using either the London or Southampton servers. Happy with that so may not just be PIA.

Test done by using Speedtest app or the command line same approx figures .

Sounds good. I have 350Mbs service and get 300 without VPN, but this drops to 30-40 ish on UK servers (using PIA, Nord and ExpressVPN trials, under Zomboided \ OpenVPN). My other box (Chromebox) runs at 200Mbs using VPN with identical settings, but that’s got a faster processor.

There was some talk of compiling Open SSL on the Vero 4k+ to improve matters, so that’s what I’m enquiring about. I wouldn’t have a clue how to do this myself, though.

The above tests show that OpenSSL is now making use of the ARM crypto extensions on the Vero4K/+.

To see if it’s a CPU-related issue, you can run top from the command line with and without the VPN connected.