You’re right, the paths aren’t as expected so the build config process will fail to find them.
Resorting to symlinks shouldn’t be necessary (although when you poke around, linux seems to be built on the idea).
The build system is CMake and there are a couple of ways to specify these locations through it’s flags and environment variables.
They can also be specified through compiler flags.
It takes both to get Hyperion.ng it to build with CEC (the CMake ones alone should be enough) and even then it doesn’t find the library at runtime. So I think there may be a bug in the CMake units.
I have taken this as far as I can myself and filed a bug report. I’ll give them plenty of time to respond. If no fix is forthcoming then I too will be symlinking and I’ll issue the update to 2.0.16 with MDNS and CEC.
For all of that, your CEC experience is not surprising. I’ve found it a nightmare to work with in the past and resorted to hacky workarounds. Implementation varies so wildly with different combinations of device/manufacturer. It either works or it doesn’t!
Glad to hear it’s working.
I doubt you’re missing anything important with an incremental update here.
There were some build issues as referenced above. I was waiting on a bugfix/response from the developers before resorting to a workaround, but didn’t hear back yet.
In the meantime the required mDNS was causing problems with wifi.
Yeah it works like a charm. I can update Hyperion using the method on their site but the internal frame grabber does not work with Kodi. And I am not able to build a version with amlogic support. No skills on that. You think you can help out? Build a fork so I can test things?
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I’ve been relying on @hissingshark’s awesome install script for many years now, firstly on a Vero4K, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was just as happy on my Vero V.
I’ve just noticed Hyperion has released a new major version (v2.1.1) which seems to have a bunch of new features, bugfixes and performance enhancements.
I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience building that version from source on a Vero V (using @hissingshark’s installer)? or (if @hissingshark is still monitoring this thread?) whether they might consider making an official pre-built binary?
Either way, thanks for all the effort that went into this @hissingshark - it’s given my family many years of enjoyment.
I had a look at this a little while ago. The build system has become more complicated with way more options. I doubt most of it actually applies to us at all, but it’s meant I’ve been unsuccessful building it on more recent versions.
It’s something I need to come back to. Although I have to say the lack of HDR support is still disappointing. If I can get around to actually sorting out a separate USB grabber I may have to jump ship to Hyper-HDR as that seems to be the only option in that regard.
I was heart broken when I saw this in the release notes as well - but from what I could gather there should be a new grabber in place instead and this was just some legacy stuff that was removed… But I’m not really sure tbh.
What gives me hope is the last sentence from the announcement:
“[..] , we’ve introduced a completely rewritten Windows DDA grabber for better stability and a new DRM/KMS grabber tailored for Raspberry Pi OS users (Kodi grabbing does currently not work). These architectural overhauls ensure smoother, more efficient ambient lighting across all platforms while resolving long-standing resource bottlenecks.“
And:
Amlogic grabber - Removed support to grab DRM & FB-DEV, i.e.Kodi screens on will not be captued on CoreElec
Which doesn’t sound like they dropped amlogic alltogether (fingers crossed).
Of course it would help tremendousely if we could build the new release and test it - as I would happily volunteer for . Looking nudgingly in your direction @hissingshark …
Anyways I’m still very happy with my trusty Vero V and an older version from your installer!
I got Hyperion 2.2.1 running on my Vero V and put the build script and a prebuilt .deb here:
The Amlogic grabber still works in 2.2.x - what changed is that the Kodi interface isn’t captured anymore, only video playback. That’s fine for me. One thing worth knowing on the Vero V: drmctl.sh only covers h265 and vp9, so AV1 content (a lot of YouTube) ends up with the LEDs stuck on green. My version handles all decoders.
Only tested on my Vero V - I do have a Vero 4K but no LEDs on it, so I can’t say anything about that one. Built on @hissingshark’s work, without which I wouldn’t have known where to start.
@corus What hardware is needed to make this work aside from the Vero V? I currently have a Pi 2 running LEDs (ws2801) and I’m wondering if the Vero V has a native ability to drive LEDs through a USB interface or similar negating the need of a Pi.