OSMC remote control

I see now. Perhaps Home can take you back to the video if you are playing something.

The home button is a usefull key during menu navigation aswell. I thought more to use the “play/pause” button for that, it looks a bit like the osmc logo, so thought it would be the best to sacrifice…

Hi i also believe that the osmc remote could have a little upgrade.

With the soon release of krypton and the addition of retropie in the next version of Kodi, I believe the next version of the remote should have a keypad and buttons to be able to play games.

I think my favourite layout is the Probox 2 remote+

However there is few things i think could be changed for an osmc remote.

No need for a microphone. Unless osmc thinks about mycroft/Amazon alexa like features :slight_smile:

I am not sure about the Six-axis gyroscope & accelerometer. I never found it was working very well for a mouse.

I believe the keypad vs remote should be implemented via a hardware switch instead of a button.
(this could be great if it was already set up in retropie)

I would also quite like a off button. I believe the new CEC implementation in krypton allows to switch on and off the TV

I think this moves the goal posts a bit. RetroPlayer is at least 12 months away. I think it would be better for us to have a good games controller with analogue sticks rather than to try and bolt it on the remote.

+1 on the fullscreen button, I find it extremely helpful to have one, especially on the android apps.

I find it unnecessary to having to press Home then Back because then I also have to navigate back to the menu I were on previously, if I did something like a search in an addon it would take a lot longer to get back there.

1 Like

Any chance that this remote is going to be sold by the OSMC team so I’m sure it works out of the box on my vero device?

Unlikely. There has been no discussion of it and we already have a remote offering.

No – we don’t have plans to sell this remote. We already manufacture, sell and include our own remote with Vero. This remote has strong sales and reviews really well, so we think we’re on to a winner. We think less is more, and the remote fares up well with family members and spouses in terms of usability.

We will keep improving our remote via software. If other vendors want to support OSMC we’re happy for them to do so, but we’re not going to go out of our way to purchase their remotes and support their hardware.

2 Likes

There is really no reason to have OSMC distribute this remote. Remote support ist not witchcraft. It is just a configuration file for button function. Every USB-HID remote will work in principal. See if somebody already made a file, else you can make it.
If you are worried about out of the box support, rather try to convince Sam to include a config file in OSMC.

I just received my Vero 4k (but am still waiting for my 4k TV to be delivered >:-() and I also came to the conclusion that I am not the “minimal remote” type of guy. I use the MX3 air mouse which can be found on Aliexpress for less than 10$. Works absolutely fine for me (and has been for at least 2 years), including the mouse functionality, though I do not use it in OSMC.
What I noticed is: If I WAS a minimal remote type of guy, I would miss a button on the OSMC remote to switch on and off the TV via CEC. What use is a minimalistic remote, if I have to keep the bulky TV remote around? I mean, the mean reason for minimalism is not that people are confused by too many buttons, but that they don’t want such a thing lying on the table, isn’t it?

Let’s call it a Rikomagic then…
It’s the same story as the current OSMC remote, a Chinese model, manufactured in China.

I believe that different people have different tastes and different needs.
I’m an old XBMCbuntu user, later Kodibuntu… but that project is discontinued. My old htpc was really broken so I needed something else. I planned to buy a raspberry pi for a long time. But when I looked in to what kodi oriented os I could run on it, there was the choice in OpenElec or OSMC. Since OSMC has their own device (vero2) what should be 50% faster than the raspberry pi my choice was made. I did choose for the Vero2 becouse I wanted to support the project. I appreciate it very much what sam and his guys are doing, and wanted to support the project.

I’m used to this remote with a few buttons that didn’t work. So I was very optimistic about the minimalistic design of the osmc remote. But as soon as I started using it I missed the volume buttons straight away. I went to this forum, and I was helped out in the short term with the keymap editor add-on on kodi.
For the long term I started this thread, so everybody could share their opinion about the remote and how we could make the remote better. But since there are just too few buttons on it, it’s never completely going to work in my opinion. To make it work smooth I went out looking what’s on the market, what money can buy these days. But I like the OSMC concept, and would love to support it. I have only good intentions with this thread!

I think that OSMC should be as colorfull as its community / users and offer the minimal remote for the minimalistic people and a more complex remote for people who need some extra functionality from their device.

Right now potential customers are sent away to spend their money elsewhere.