Pi 4 Screen blanks intermittently playing video - Solved

OK. When playing videos the TV screen blanks intermittently. This not a crash, watching fine, screen blanks for 4-5 seconds, comes back on with video details splash in top right. Keep watching for a time 5, 6, 10 minutes and the same thing happens. Blanks then returns, continues playing video as if no break.
I haven’t yet done a log yet but hoped someone may have experienced this. To all intents, apart from from this, the pi and OSMC is working great. It doesn’t matter the format or length of the video, MP4, MKV, AVI. I tried changing the resolution for no change. It happens when there is no video playing as well, just the menu showing, so possible not a ‘playing video’ problem.
This has only been happening for a short time (3-4 months) but everything in my setup has changed but this issue continues. By everything I mean, new Pi4, new TV, new cables. So now i suspect a software / settings issue, but am stumped

If your using a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter switch to a cable that doesn’t need an adapter. If you had done some modification to config.txt/config-user.txt you could try it using stock settings. Same with Kodi trying default userdata…

Default userdata how-to

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If needed you can restore:

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bk2
mv ~/kodi.bak ~/.kodi
systemctl start mediacenter

If your original setup was restored as expected and you want get rid of the unneeded clean install you can delete that with the following command.

rm -r ~/kodi.bk2

Logs may provide some insight.

Cable is a straight through HDMI to micro. Setting are stock.

Solved - but weird. So after being completely lost by the cause of this given everything was changed except the power supply I convinced myself there was an issue with the OSMC installation. An obscure setting was off or something. I got a second SD card and did a completely new install. Plugged it into the Pi and all was well. I intended to set up the new install over time so TV watching wasn’t an issue (even with the screen blanking).
But when I reinstalled the first SD card the problem was solved, no more blanking. I can only assume the SD wasn’t seated quite correctly, the swapping of the cards and then returning the original somehow fixed the problem. Nothing wrong with the PI or the SD card, just a glitch in the Matrix.

1 Like