Playback Video - sound stuttering after March 5th Update

The March update uses a newer version of the Raspberry Pi firmware and the 4.14 kernel. I’ll post some instructions shortly so that we can isolate which of these are causing the problem and see if we can track it down to a specific commit.

3 Likes

Ok thanks, let us know what to test next. Many thanks for the effort.

Thank you for your patience.

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed with the following commit:

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam

Hi, it does not seem to work for me. I still have sound outages. How do I make a log with these errors?

Thank you so much!

Please try the following (for RBP2)

wget http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/r/rbp2-source-4.9.29-10-osmc/rbp2-image-4.9.29-10-osmc_10_armhf.deb -O kernel.deb
sudo dpkg -i kernel.deb
reboot

Or for RBP1

wget  http://ftp.fau.de/osmc/osmc/apt/pool/main/r/rbp1-source-4.9.29-12-osmc/rbp1-image-4.9.29-12-osmc_12_armhf.deb -O kernel.deb
sudo dpkg -i kernel.deb
reboot

This should rule out a kernel issue if there is still a problem.

3 Likes

I’m sorry I did not write it. I have Raspberry pi 3

RBP2/RBP3 is the same kernel.

It looks like it works!
Thank you very much

Ales_Kozubik beat me to it, downgrading the kernel seems to fix the dropouts. Have been running roughly 20 minutes without any issues!

1 Like

Interesting – thanks for letting me know.

So I can investigate this further, does anyone have a small clip that they can send me to reproduce the problem?

For anyone else who is considering downgrading temporarily: Can you paste the output of cat /proc/interrupts on the current kernel and then after downgrading?

Sam

1 Like

Hi Sam,
The /proc/interrupts output you asked for can be found here.

Thanks. Can you confirm if you have any attached peripherals? If you do – can you try without them attached?

Sam

I do have a hifiberry digi+ attached, but that is the only thing. I’ve taken it off, and performed the same tests, with both kernels. Now only shorter playtime. 2 minutes of the same file yielded these results

Also, I’m having a hard time reproducing the issue with a file locally. Maybe one of the other guys above could help out with getting a small sample file that produces the outputs?
I tried running this via SSHFS mount, and got three dropouts during the 2:30 playtime. But yea, it would be better if we could get a file with reproducible local results.

Thank you! This fixed the issue.

Downgrading the kernel works for me. So is the solution really to not upgrade the kernel if using a RPi? Or is there something that can be done on OSMC side?

Try the new kernel

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Hi Sam,
Sorry, but the issue is still there, at least for me. It feels like the dropouts are somewhat fewer, but they are still there. Would be good if someone else could confirm this as well.

The issue is still there for me too after March update, on RPi2. The video files are on some NFS share (fstab).

Even after downgrading manually the kernel?